Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

When Does FDNY Respond On EMS Calls?

16 posts in this topic

just curious to know, when does the fdny go on ems runs, and what goes engine or ladders?

engines go on ems...and are supposed to go on major trauma and cardiacs...but end up going on a lot of b.s.

engines go on ems...and are supposed to go on major trauma and cardiacs...but end up going on a lot of b.s.

I'm pretty sure its not just engines. Both the NYC EMS calls I've been involved in had trucks respond.

Engine company's will respond to all most all EMS Segments 1-3 with a few exceptions. Some examples are:

Segment 1. Arrest and Choke

Segment 2. Statep, Cardiac

Segment 3. Burn Major, Injury Major, Ped Struck

Some calls such as Asthma will get an Engine if the EMSCAD shows "No Units Available"

Also any call on a highway that indicates the response of an Engine will also get a Ladder.

Trauma (Person Pinned) will get an Engine and Ladder. Sometimes Rescue or Squad depending on location.

Drown will get a ton of units.

As far as the BS calls yes there are a lot of them. Person calls up and says a car hit me "I just want a report" and the person is not injured. You still get the BLS and Engine. They should have this broken down by Ped Struck, Ped Struck Minor, and Ped Struck Major. Person who is up and walking around and say they are not injured should be the Ped Struck Minor, with a BLS on a non Emergency response. Ped Struck should be for someone up and walking around and says they are injured, BLS only... Ped Struck Major for the person who is still on the ground.

You also have a lot of people playing with the system.

Some calls such as Asthma will get an Engine if the EMSCAD shows "No Units Available"

that explains a lot...thanks Tom...I wondered why asthma got an engine

As far as the BS calls yes there are a lot of them. Person calls up and says a car hit me "I just want a report" and the person is not injured. You still get the BLS and Engine. They should have this broken down by Ped Struck, Ped Struck Minor, and Ped Struck Major. Person who is up and walking around and say they are not injured should be the Ped Struck Minor, with a BLS on a non Emergency response. Ped Struck should be for someone up and walking around and says they are injured, BLS only... Ped Struck Major for the person who is still on the ground.

You also have a lot of people playing with the system.

Just to touch on this. Most of us don't send if the EMS or PD comments state the person just wants a report. Also, the incident is triaged constantly by EMS so it can start out as an auto accident with injuries and be upgraded to a trauma job. Although to this day, I can't understand how an auto accident involving a motorcycle is classified as a ped struck.

Just to touch on this. Most of us don't send if the EMS or PD comments state the person just wants a report. Also, the incident is triaged constantly by EMS so it can start out as an auto accident with injuries and be upgraded to a trauma job. Although to this day, I can't understand how an auto accident involving a motorcycle is classified as a ped struck.

I hope you work in Manhattan...the less ems the better for us in the 16th(at least between 0000 and 0750)...just kidding!

I was a dispatcher in Manhattan from 1998-2002. Used to buff at 30 Truck. I'm a boss in the Bronx now, but I am waiting to return to Manhattan eventually.

Thanks for the info thendick it clears up some questions i have. So basically they respond on the more serious ems calls. Is there a way of classifing these calls? What kind of equipment is carried by the engines? are they trained up to emt level or just cfr, Is the pd also dispatched to all ems calls, or do they stand down when the fd gets the call. thanks in advance.

PD responds on medical calls, they get prioritized.

EMS runs are classified by priority and if it is a BLS or ALS response. Tom described what an engine goes on. If memory serves me right, a FF may be a NYS certified EMT, but when on an engine, they act as a CFR.

Engines are CFR-D only. Carry backboard, defib, o2 and first aid kit.

Calls come in from 911 and go to NYPD who will take the info and enter it into the CAD system. Depending on the call type it will get routed to FD and EMS. FD's CAD system will take the info and a unit will be dispatched. The caller then talks to EMS who will interview the caller and provide pre-hospital care instructions. EMS will then dispatch an ambulance depending on info. They may also downgrade or upgrade the call. If the call is downgraded to a type which doesn't need an Engine then a message will go over to cancel the Engine. Upgraded then the CAD will send the info over to FD to assign an Engine.

PD responds on most EMS runs, not sure of the entire list. FD gets dispatched a minute or two before EMS because of EMS interviewing the caller and then dispatching the units.

The calls that FD goes on are the Segments 1-3 "Life threatening" .

The other calls types fall into Segments 4-8. The EMS dispatcher who does the interview will place it into a call type and segment

Segments 4-6 are "Non Life Threatening" = Injuries, Sick

Segments 7-8 are "Non Emergency" = EDP's Minor injuries, etc

why do the police respond on ems calls?I can understand them responding to calls in areas where the ems and firies have trouble in some areas(ie persons are hostile towards them)but on most ems,don't they have enough police work to do. :angry:

I was a dispatcher in Manhattan from 1998-2002. Used to buff at 30 Truck. I'm a boss in the Bronx now, but I am waiting to return to Manhattan eventually.

always welcome at The Zoo! B)

always welcome at The Zoo!  B)

Blkcloud im jealous... lol..... u guys at the zoo have been getting some good first due work lately !!!

thanks again thendick clears up alot.