Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IzzyEng4

Helmet Fronts

6 posts in this topic

Here is something that I could never find out no matter where I looked and heards so many stories about.

How did the colors of a helmet ffront get chosen

Black for Engines

Red for Trucks

ECT.

Is there any real reason why or standard developed over the years? Or where they just chosen.

The departments up this way use or are close to FDNY's helmet color fronts.

Black = Engine & Hose companies

Red = Trucks and quints

Blue = Heavy Rescue or Rescue pumper

Yellow = Rescue Squad or Squad pumper

Green = EMS

White =Officers

Gold = Chiefs and Chaplains

This is not an acurate listing, just a total overview up here in New Haven County though there s really no standard.

Here is something that I could never find out no matter where I looked and heards so many stories about.

How did the colors of a helmet ffront get chosen

Black for Engines

Red for Trucks

ECT.

Is there any real reason why or standard developed over the years?  Or where they just chosen.

The departments up this way use or are close to FDNY's helmet color fronts.

Black =  Engine & Hose companies

Red = Trucks and quints

Blue = Heavy Rescue or Rescue pumper

Yellow = Rescue Squad or Squad pumper

Green = EMS

White =Officers

Gold = Chiefs and Chaplains

This is not an acurate listing, just a total overview up here in New Haven County though there s really no standard.

The color Green in FDNY is for the Marine units.

Most EMS members helmet are Orange in NYC but alot of areas use the Blue helmet for EMS. at least in my area just over the bridge.

CPage, I know green was FDNY Marine Co's color but I didn't know about EMS helmets being organe. thanks for that.

What does your department or fellow ff's use? Would be interesting to know.

Boston has a cool set up with the black fronts with using white numbers for engines and red numbers for trucks, plus the R1 & R2 for the rescues.

In my area of Bergen Co. NJ all Engine Co's use black helmets and black fronts , Truck/Ladder some depts use Red helmets and red fronts but some use the black helmets adn red fronts. Rescue co use black helmet and Blue fronts. and the new thing out here is the squad they use black helmets and yellow fronts. just about all ems units use blue helmet and officers in ems use the white helmets. and for the aux/jr firefighters they get yellow helmet. and any company probies get the orange fronts on the helmet of that company.

I was always under the impression that the color coding thing came from FDNY, but definitly could be wrong. Also on the Color Codding topic, some also do the Helmet Colors as designations. I know some Rockland Departments Color Codes Helmets by Company or apparatus Assigned. Nyack, Pearl River, and Suffern I believe do something.

Also since were on the topic of Helmet Fronts, can anybody tell me where FDNY orders or "gets" there's. I have heard Paul Conway Possibly? Looking for the ones that the City Actually uses, not the city style from another Manufacturer. Thanks in advance.

Edited by ONLOCATION

I don't know, I was always under the impresion that the insert style were from Total Fire Group aka Morning Pride / Ben Franklin. As for the company officers and chiefs, I have no idea.