Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Local Fire Service Vocabulary

6 posts in this topic

I was just wondering, it seems like every area of this country has their own unique fire service lingo.

I was wondering if there were any terms completly unique to the area, excluding FDNY terms. Like does Westchester, Stamford, Putnam etc have their own words for something firematic that no one else uses?

Edited by x635

One geographically-specific term that comes to mind would be the "Mattydale" hose bed.

I believe the Mattydale, NY Fire Dept. (near Syracuse) was a pioneer in the use of cross-lays, and I have heard some of our senior members refer to the cross-laid pre-connects as "Mattydales"

I often refer to our pre-connected lines in the crosslay as mattydales. It's more of an old school term from what I know, but I like the sound of it. I can't really think of any others, because when and if I use them, it doesn't seem any different from the rest of what I say.

Another term for a hydrant, I believe...

One geographically-specific term that comes to mind would be the "Mattydale" hose bed.

I believe the Mattydale, NY Fire Dept. (near Syracuse) was a pioneer in the use of cross-lays, and I have heard some of our senior members refer to the cross-laid pre-connects as "Mattydales"

That's how we refer to them at CFFD, as well