Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

WCDES Scene Support Technicians?

2 posts in this topic

This idea is spawned from another thread.....

I know the current budget in Westchester will probaly not allow this right now, but has hiring (paid) Scene Support Technicians been considered?

Considering they have recieved all this equipment via grants, I feel there should be someone there 24/7 to get it to the scene when needed in a timely manner. There should also be someone who is responsible for the daily checks of the equipment. Also, someone to do light maintainence and refuel the vehicles when needed. The only other function they should do is to educate responders about the equipment by particpating in local drills, etc.

There should be at least two SST there at all times, and assigned "on call" days. A 60 Control dispatcher should be available to respond with the Field Com, like in NYC. Knowledge of operations at a large scale incident and training to use the equipment should be required. DES should run an academy on everything they need to know. And there should be at least 2 SST's available at all times. And they should be dedicated to this role....have nothing to do with training, Grasslands response, the fire apparatus, etc.

But, as long as people volunteer, DES will have an excuse not to properly staff these units. And I'm not trying to insult any volunteers, but if this were to become paid positions, there may be a job in it for them.

There are grants availablle to do this.

But, as long as people volunteer, DES will have an excuse not to properly staff these units. And I'm not trying to insult any volunteers, but if this were to become paid positions, there may be a job in it for them.

There are grants availablle to do this.

Seth, it is a great idea. Only problem I see is grants have a life expectancy after which taxes increase to make up the difference which in turn increases the population of Round Rock, TX.