Followers 0
x635

All-woman firefighter cadet class out to spur change

7 posts in this topic

All-woman firefighter cadet class out to spur change

by Alex Sanz / 11 News

khou.com

Posted on January 24, 2011 at 6:02 PM

HOUSTON—A group of women training in Houston’s first all-woman firefighter cadet class has set out to spur change in fire departments in and around Texas.

http://www.khou.com/home/All-woman-firefighter-cadet-class-out-to-spur-change-114513474.html

What better way to prove that women are equal to men at a job than to have a separate cadet class just for them... :blink:

I smell EEOC.

I'll bet a federal judge had something to do with this one.

Now, I'm appalled.

efdcapt115 likes this

I smell EEOC.

I'll bet a federal judge had something to do with this one.

Now, I'm appalled.

:lol:

One of the females said "it can be very intimidating being in a class of 40 men and being the only female", not being rude but does she think there is an all femlae firehouse waitng for her? IMO the academy is the least of her worries.

This is a Community College prgram. These women are putting themselves through the course hoping for an "express hire" or to volunteer (Texas does not differentiate between volunteer and career when it comes to standards). This program is totally voluntary. If they can do the job and can prove themselves physically, then I have no issue.

In my area, it's not so much an issue. Austin Fire Department has over 70 female firefighters, and a female Fire Chief.

You've got to admit, it is a male dominated profession and has been for a long time. But times are changing.

This is a Community College prgram. These women are putting themselves through the course hoping for an "express hire" or to volunteer (Texas does not differentiate between volunteer and career when it comes to standards). This program is totally voluntary. If they can do the job and can prove themselves physically, then I have no issue.

In my area, it's not so much an issue. Austin Fire Department has over 70 female firefighters, and a female Fire Chief.

You've got to admit, it is a male dominated profession and has been for a long time. But times are changing.

My issue is not with the women in the class. They are trying to become FFs.

My issue is with the numbskull who dreamed this up and thought it was a good idea.

Let's now have an all Black class, an all Hispanic class, but no all White class.

Next, we take all these grads and put them in firehouses expecting them all to live in harmony.

See? There must be a federal judge involved.