Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Some Cool Photos From The Texas EMS Conference 11-22-10

8 posts in this topic

Today, I had the oppurtunity to attend the Texas State EMS Conference 2010 expo floor. Aviation was big, all the major helicopters had a presence there, with at least 5 helicopters on the show floor. Austin-Travis County EMS, and their aviation arm, STARFlight, had all their toys out on display except for their ESU truck.

Click below for all the photos:

http://www.x635photos.com/texemsexpo10/

post-11-0-15548400-1290459792.jpg

post-11-0-80327000-1290459886.jpg

post-11-0-18275700-1290459923.jpg

MORE PHOTOS: http://www.x635photos.com/texemsexpo10/

Seth, REALLY nice job with the camera, as usual. My vote for most unique piece of equipment goes to the wilderness stretcher towed behind the ATV. I'd love to see an EMS motorcycle set-up on a Harley platform...but I am biased.

Thanks for sharing these great pics.

Thanks for the compliment on the photos, George.

I'd love to see an EMS motorcycle set-up on a Harley platform...but I am biased.

PD uses the same model BMW's, although they are looking at the new Honda Police Package for the future. Most of the officers assigned to the Motor Unit own and ride Harleys recreationally.

Harleys are too heavy and run too hot for a 10 hour shift. The BMW's run cool, are lightweight, and are very nimble and quick. They are perfect for zipping around the highways and running traffic.

Interesting that Miami-Dade Fire Rescue of all places runs motorcycle units on the Road-King platform; air-cooled and hot running like Seth pointed out. Just my opinion but I think something built on the V-Rod; water-cooled, low C.O.G., quite nimble, could be a highly successful cross-over into emergency services. And nobody would get there quicker. Thanks for the photo.

Really don't know much about Austin Travis County EMS but they do seem to have their act together. I know everyplace has their problems but any clue how the staff like it there?

Really don't know much about Austin Travis County EMS but they do seem to have their act together. I know everyplace has their problems but any clue how the staff like it there?

One of the most progressive truly municipal EMS systems in the country.

Very little turnover comparitevely. The average Medic makes over 50,000 a year, and that comes with all the civil service benefits plus a 23 year retirement pension. There are numerous avenues and oppurtunities for career advancements, and many specialty units to work (SWAT, Rescue, Hazmat, Rescue Aviation, District Commander, etc). Equipment is top of the line and the latest versions available. It's a great city to live in with a very low cost of living and a ton of recreational activities.

For some more info- I'd be here typing all night: http://atcemsce.org/home/

One of the most progressive truly municipal EMS systems in the country. Very little turnover comparitevely. The average Medic makes over 50,000 a year, and that comes with all the civil service benefits plus a 23 year retirement pension. There are numerous avenues and oppurtunities for career advancements, and many specialty units to work (SWAT, Rescue, Hazmat, Rescue Aviation, District Commander, etc). Equipment is top of the line and the latest versions available.

Why would anyone want that, when they can have high turnover, low pay and few oppurtunities