Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FFLieu

Moving to Atlanta, GA

2 posts in this topic

So after 5 very trying years, 2 government hiring freezes, mandatory eye surgery, and lots of "hurry up and wait," I finally got the phone call that I am being hired by the ATF. But, I'm being assigned to Atlanta, GA. That's pretty far away and definitely a place where the stereotypical NYC-type guy would stick out like a sore thumb. I'm a little scared, although my fiancée is more than happy to come with me, as she sees it as an adventure. I guess I'm posting to see what, if anything, everyone thinks about the city and its environs. Where are the good places to live? What is it truly like? I've done a little research by Googling some different topics related to Atlanta, but I found so many varying different degrees of information that I came away not knowing what was what. If anyone could help point me in the right direction, I would be more than appreciative.

Hope you like traffic! Saying Atlanta really does not help, where exactly will you be going to work? Look into the Alpharetta ,Roswell, Milton areas they are about a good 40-50 min ride(NO traffic) to Downtown ATL, I have actually sat for 1hr 15min to go 1 exit on 400 in morning traffic (yeah it F'n sux!). If you prefer to take MARTA (train) it only goes so far but there are distant plans to extend it. You will be surprised about how many transplants from the northeast are there. Just on one street alone of about 20 homes in a fairly new development were 3 IONA grads, 1 Fordam and a few SUNY peeps. Shoot me an email and give me a few days to get back to ya(if I can help) if you have any areas in mind.