Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SRS131EMTFF

FDNY 343 at Intrepid Museum FDNY Day

7 posts in this topic

Looking for a place to comment on the Blessing of The Fleet series of photos. The "Three Forty Three" is a deceptively large ship(boat?). When given scale, like the crew standing at attention on the bow, it truly is quite large, yet the thing is, without something to compare it to size-wise, you could mistake the boat for being much smaller in photos.

I remember the first images of this boat when the design was unfurled and the contract awarded. Seems like it wasn't that long ago (I wouldn't be saying that if I was a member of the Marine Unit) but it looked small in the drawings.

To see it crusing along side it's elder sisters is totally cool. It must have been quite a site in person!

Seeing the Kevin C. Kane brings back the memory of Michael Lynch's funeral and collation, one of two FDNY brothers named Michael Lynch to perish on 9/11. The collation took place at Marina Del Ray, close to where Firefighter Lynch had lived and grown up. That afternoon, as so many firefighters and his family and friends gathered, the Kevin C. Kane came in on the water, it was the newest fireboat in the fleet at the time, and put on a display for all gathered.

It was a very touching, and proud tribute to both Firefighter Lynch and Firefighter Kane. A moment frozen in the mind for all time.

God bless the Fleet, keep all the brothers/sisters on the waters safe.

The boys and the boat:

post-12051-084955100 1279493292.jpg

VERY smart, good luck to the FDNY with her! Was very impressed with the boat dock/dive platform at the stern; sure it will be an effective rescue boat. Wouldn't be a bad SCUBA charter boat either! biggrin.gif

Edited by abaduck

The boys and the boat:

post-12051-084955100 1279493292.jpg

VERY smart, good luck to the FDNY with her! Was very impressed with the boat dock/dive platform at the stern; sure it will be an effective rescue boat. Wouldn't be a bad SCUBA charter boat either! biggrin.gif

Now there's a crew standing at the bow!

Looking for a place to comment on the Blessing of The Fleet series of photos. The "Three Forty Three" is a deceptively large ship(boat?). When given scale, like the crew standing at attention on the bow, it truly is quite large, yet the thing is, without something to compare it to size-wise, you could mistake the boat for being much smaller in photos.

I remember the first images of this boat when the design was unfurled and the contract awarded. Seems like it wasn't that long ago (I wouldn't be saying that if I was a member of the Marine Unit) but it looked small in the drawings.

To see it crusing along side it's elder sisters is totally cool. It must have been quite a site in person!

Seeing the Kevin C. Kane brings back the memory of Michael Lynch's funeral and collation, one of two FDNY brothers named Michael Lynch to perish on 9/11. The collation took place at Marina Del Ray, close to where Firefighter Lynch had lived and grown up. That afternoon, as so many firefighters and his family and friends gathered, the Kevin C. Kane came in on the water, it was the newest fireboat in the fleet at the time, and put on a display for all gathered.

It was a very touching, and proud tribute to both Firefighter Lynch and Firefighter Kane. A moment frozen in the mind for all time.

God bless the Fleet, keep all the brothers/sisters on the waters safe.

To get an idea of the size of the '343', here is a photo I took back in June, from the middle of the Manhattan Bridge looking in towards the Brooklyn Navy Yard. From left to right are the Alfred Smith, Kevin C Kane, a marine Ops Whaler, and the 343.

post-917-053061400 1279503740.jpg

awesome behind the scenes look at FDNYs new 343 fire boat. I recommend this to anyone who wants to get a look at the heart and insides of the new ship.

http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2010/06/18/t_tt_fdny_fire_boat.cnnmoney/?source=cnn_bin&hpt=Sbin

Wow, a GREAT journalistic piece, ACCURATELY reflecting the purpose of a vehicle, AND, the purposeful spending of tax monies to justify such!

Also, the greatest in-depth look I have had of the capabilities of this boat yet!

Hats off to CNN for this exposé!!!