Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

Brush units in Southern Westchester?

10 posts in this topic

Are there any Brush units or Mini Attacks in southern Westchester? I am wondering because there is a lot of brush and dense forests where an engine would have a tough time getting close enough and still having a water source. That also brings up the discussion about tankers and water, but i will keep it on topic. I live in an area that has a lot of brush areas as well as heavily wooded areas and I always wondered what would happen if a fire ever started? Would the department have to wait for MA form a Northern Westchester Department or wait for the WCDPS Helicopter with the bambi Bucket? I am just wondering what would happen if there was a real fire and your thoughts. Thanks.

Edited by firedude

Are there any Brush units or Mini Attacks in southern Westchester? I am wondering because there is a lot of brush and dense forests where an engine would have a tough time getting close enough and still having a water source. That also brings up the discussion about tankers and water, but i will keep it on topic. I live in an area that has a lot of brush areas as well as heavily wooded areas and I always wondered what would happen if a fire ever started? Would the department have to wait for MA form a Northern Westchester Department or wait for the WCDPS Helicopter with the bambi Bucket? I am just wondering what would happen if there was a real fire and your thoughts. Thanks.

If you are nervous about forest fires, maybe this can help.

http://www.smokeybear.com/index.asp

Fire trucks do not put out fires, firefighters do. The real question is do departments have enough personnel to handle the job.

In S Westchester there are no brush trucks. But we have options:

1. Stretch in

2. Indian tank it. (They're in the station cellar someplace)

3. Wait 'til it comes to you, put the stick up and make rain

In some cases, brush fires can be handled with water cans, vests, the old Indian Tanks, rakes, shovels, brooms and even leaf blowers. Larger ones generally require the use of handlines and/or air drops. When you get into real forrest fires, many are handled without water, where the brush is cleared and fire lines are created. These types of fires are rare in Westchester County.

Scattered around the county are several ATV / UTV units with firefighting capability. As far as Mini-Attacks go, they aren't as popular as they used to be, and south of I-287 they are almost non-existent.

Funny little coincidence, last year, I was working in the Bronx while Staten Island and Queens had a couple of big brush fires going. We get most of our brush jobs in the area of Orchard Beach and Ferry Point Park. BFU-8 was removed from service a number of years ago. I actually called 60 to see who was the closest MA to the Bronx in the event that something went down. I believe the closest was MA-32 in White Plains. I sure would have a lot of explaining to do if I asked for Mutual Aid.

Funny little coincidence, last year, I was working in the Bronx while Staten Island and Queens had a couple of big brush fires going. We get most of our brush jobs in the area of Orchard Beach and Ferry Point Park. BFU-8 was removed from service a number of years ago. I actually called 60 to see who was the closest MA to the Bronx in the event that something went down. I believe the closest was MA-32 in White Plains. I sure would have a lot of explaining to do if I asked for Mutual Aid.

I remember that!

I probably spoke to you. I have occasionally asked if the dispatcher I'm speaking to knows of this site, and then drop my screen name.

I probably spoke to you. I have occasionally asked if the dispatcher I'm speaking to knows of this site, and then drop my screen name.

I hear ya. Most people don't even know my name. I'm either 642, 2082 or 5517. Of course I have more nicknames then I care to discuss... ;)

In S Westchester there are no brush trucks. But we have options:

1. Stretch in

2. Indian tank it. (They're in the station cellar someplace)

3. Wait 'til it comes to you, put the stick up and make rain

4. Call helicopters! B)