Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ny10570

Newest PPE for HM1

9 posts in this topic

http://www.radshield.com/

FDNY will soon be outfitting HM1 with several products from this company. One is a radiation/ballistic vest that can be worn with encapsulation. Another is a blanket that can either protect rescuers or isolate a contaminated patient.

http://www.radshield.com/

FDNY will soon be outfitting HM1 with several products from this company. One is a radiation/ballistic vest that can be worn with encapsulation. Another is a blanket that can either protect rescuers or isolate a contaminated patient.

They already have new level A suits that have a bunker gear like material on the outside and seal around the facepiece (AV-3000) instead of encapsulating the user over the SCBA. They appear much more user friendly.

They already have new level A suits that have a bunker gear like material on the outside and seal around the facepiece (AV-3000) instead of encapsulating the user over the SCBA. They appear much more user friendly.

I'd be interested if anyone could find out who makes this? Typically Level A means total encapsulation, no moving parts or body parts outside the suit. In fact, it almost seems impossible as then the SCBA mask would have to be tested and certified for particular chemicals as the suits are? Non-encapsulating level "B", no problem! Got some, though nothing with turnout material exterior? Must be heavier?

Antique, I have no idea what kind of suit he's talking about, but from what he describes it, it SOUNDS like the facepiece is PART of the suit, eliminating the need for full encapsulation. Probably MUCH better for visibility.

Blauer (uniform company out of Boston) makes suits that have a feature like that, I sell Blauer stuff at work but dealers aren't allowed to sell this, its factory direct for security/integrity reasons I guess. I honestly have never seen one, though I'd like to play with one in a training atmosphere to see what the difference is. Links below, anyone ever worked with these things? (NOTE: I do NOT make commission, and I am NOT trying to advertise or sell these things, truthfully I don't care if any of them ever get sold, this is simply for informational purposes)

Blauer Multi-Threat Suit

Blauer MIRT Suit

Blauer XRT Suit

SageVigiles: Thanks, the HZ9420 Multi-Threat Suit certainly looks as though it meets the parameters outlined by 16Fire5. I've never seen a non-encapsulating suit that met the Level "A" standards, but it looks as though this does, albeit it may be limited to specific materials. I'm going to have to pass this on to the Haz-mat gurus, who'll probably look at me like I've been freeze dried or doing hard time for not knowing about these. But who knows, it may be new by them as well.

Yep sage, thats the new level A or at the very least very similar. I don't know if any other vendors make a similar product.

The radshield vest goes under the current PPE. The member I was talking to said the vest also provided IIIA ballistic protection, but the company website only shows that available in a shield form.

Yep sage, thats the new level A or at the very least very similar. I don't know if any other vendors make a similar product.

The radshield vest goes under the current PPE. The member I was talking to said the vest also provided IIIA ballistic protection, but the company website only shows that available in a shield form.

First application listed:

S.W.A.T. - terrorist threat neutralization, high-risk narcotics entries

It's gotta go ballistic.

If this suit is exposed to a deadly agent, are you scrapping the SCBA?

OK after reveiwing the NFPA standards is appears these suits are designed specifically for CBRN response and geared toward LE ops. NFPA 1994 covers this and the suits are Class 2 meaning their targeted for rapid operations like immediate rescues or SWAT ops, etc. They specifically do not certify these for typical incidents requiring vapor protection. It looks like the vapor protection these suits provide will allow for the quick assessment, immediate rescue or rapid mitigation action all which can be done in a limited time. This is haz-mat risk/benefit.

Typically suiting out in Level A to make rescues will most likely result in more deaths if they were at all imminent to begin with. My old fire investigation partner is now the regional DEA supervisor, I'll have to ask him about their Meth lab take down team using these.

We embrace the 3/30 principle with regard to immediate actions. Basically if a victim is conscious and breathing in the atmosphere, it is safe enough to don SCBA tape the gloves and boots to your bunkers and make the rescue. This to the consternation of many WMD/Haz-mat drill evaluators who want to "kill" our people, while the "victims" remain viable with no SCBA? We usually win the argument and tell the evaluators to have a reality check.

Edited by antiquefirelt

True point, as with everything in the HAZMAT world, its a risk/benefit analysis.

The Blauer suits look, to me anyway, like they are intended for tactical operators, but I wasn't sure. Would be good for a quick-response team for a dignitary protection role when you're evac'ing ASAP when the attack occurs, but definitely not continuous operations. I do, however, like the M.O.L.L.E. hookups on the suit, I'd imagine wearing a tac-vest over that might cause some suit integrity issues, as well as weight. Maybe JCESU will let us know if his department uses these, or any of the other SWAT cops/tactical medics on here.