Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

S.O.R.D - Special Operations Recovery Drag

4 posts in this topic

Another tool for rapid removal of a Firefighter from a dangerous area.

Tools and Techniques article with description of this device.

http://www.firewear.com/pdf/SORD%20Article...06%20p26-27.pdf

The S.O.R.D. is a 5' x 5' tarp constructed of 100

percent Kevlar, including the handles and stitching.

The tarp is also tear/cut resistant and has a maximum

carrying weight of 6,275 lbs.

More info can be found on Youtube

I actually remember my instructors talking about this a little during my FAST class, sounded like a very interesting and useful device. Do any departments around Westchester with FASTeams have these in operation or have experimented with them?

I actually remember my instructors talking about this a little during my FAST class, sounded like a very interesting and useful device. Do any departments around Westchester with FASTeams have these in operation or have experimented with them?

Valhalla FD has this device.

Two - Man carry shown on YouTube

In West Harrison, we have 3 of them. Two of them are used only at a real incidents. Of course, only one at the scene, and the second is a backup. The third is used for training. We have had the SORD now for about 2 years. It is a great tool to have. Ultimately, every situation is different and you may not always need it. As we have seen though, when you can use it, it's a great tool. Definitly helps the memebers get the person out with less hassel.