Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

FDNY Fleet Maintainence Wreckers Available For Rescue?

6 posts in this topic

I was just curious if the FDNY fleet maintainence wreckers are also available for technical rescue situations, if needed??

Also, I've seen the ones on FDNYTrucks.com- but how many heavy wreckers does FDNY operate, and are their any that aren't shown on that page?

I'm actually suprised that FDNY doesn't have a rotator, it sure would be a good replacement for the Tac units. Very versatile for many types of rescues, as well as moving equipment.

Just an opinion, but I don't think there are enough tech rescue situations to warrant an LAFD style rig. I've only seen the wreckers used to pull rigs out of the mud or tow a rig away from a wreck.

Just an opinion, but I don't think there are enough tech rescue situations to warrant an LAFD style rig. I've only seen the wreckers used to pull rigs out of the mud or tow a rig away from a wreck.

You could say that about a lot of FDNY's specialty rigs. If used to replace a TAC unit, the boom could be used to put the boat in the water from a distance away. At a collaspe scene, it could be used to move debris. It could be used to move other equipment at emergency scenes, such as shoring. In a harbor rescue, it could be used for stablization or removal. And it could be used to stabilize trucks and larger vehicles at MVA's. I just feel it would be a good fit to replace the TAC units.

PLUS......you'd have a heavy wrecker for fleet issues as well........

You could say that about a lot of FDNY's specialty rigs.

Comparing LAFD and FDNY isn't really fair with regard to special ops. equipment. For one, the cityscape is different. As large cities, we both have different challenges. Second, as large as LA is, it's not even half the size of NY, so the odds of needing certain specialized units is more justifiable here in the big apple. As for a rotating boom crane, what are you going to do with it? Need to move something heavy to free someone? That's what airbags, along with other small more precise tools are for. If a crane was needed, they're not in short supply around the city. It's like the vac truck that ConEd has. Why don't we have one? 'Cause it's really expensive in hardly necessary.

Any new tool, or rig is a good one. No one would ever complain about more resources, tools and toys are great! However, with real world budget cuts and probable firehouse closings looming in the not too distant future, I can't even complain about the apparatus floor that needs to be replaced after it's 104th year.

They wouldn't be an effective replacement for the TAC vehicles as you would now need something to do the job of the TAC vehicles. While yes there are many pieces of apparatus that are seldom used their functions are extremely difficult to duplicate using other FD or civilian resources. A crane is extremely easy to come by in NYC as well as rotators.

I've heard rumors that FDNY is looking at a rotating boom wrecker for replacement for it's TAC units.......time will tell. I know there are plenty of similar resources in NYC, it's just my opinion that even the smaller rotators, the 30 tons, would be an asset to the fleet, even if just used for fleet maintainence and available if need be for other situations.