Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveOFD

International Code Council Code 2009 Residential Sprinkler Vote

2 posts in this topic

I know this is short notice, but I only found out about this the other day.

The National Association of Home Builders has submitted proposals to rescind the requirement for Fire Sprinkler Systems in NEW Residential Construction. These proposals will be voted on at the International Code Council's Code Developement Hearings to be held in Baltimore, MD on Wednesday October 28, 2009. I attended, and voted, for the inclusion of this requirement in Minneapolis last year. The Fire Service was well represented and was THE KEY in having this life saving requirement placed in the ICC's International Residential Code.

If you are a member of the ICC, or your municipality is, (each municipality can have four voting members) the International Residential Code Fire Sprinkler Coalition needs your help with this vote. I am sure the NAHB will have many more members attend this year to vote AGAINST this requirement.

Check out the above links for more information, but we again need to be represented at this important VOTE!!!

TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE TO REGISTER FOR THIS VOTE SO CHECK OUT THESE LINKS SO RESIDENTIAL FIRE SPRINKLERS ARE REQUIRED BY CODE.

IRC FIRE SPRINKLER COALITION WINS AGAIN FOR RESIDENTIAL FIRE SPRINKLERS.

October 28, 2009

ICC votes to keep residential fire sprinklers mandatory

By Ken Robinson

FireRescue1 Staff

BALTIMORE — Building codes mandating fire sprinklers in new one- and two-family homes were upheld as the International Code Council voted Wednesday to disapprove a motion to remove them.

Representatives from the IAFC, IAFF, NFPA and other organizations gave testimony in support of the existing rules mandating sprinklers as the council met in Baltimore.

"Most Americans who die in fires die where they live," said USFA Deputy Administrator Chief Glenn Gaines. "In addition to saving the lives of building occupants, residential sprinklers significantly reduce the risk that residential fires pose to firefighters."

While Gaines went on to cite supporting statistics, other testimony included impassioned pleas.

"On what basis would we look to step backwards from this point?" said Jeff Johnson, president of the IAFC.

After a seven to four vote and a majority of the ICC audience in opposition to the motion to remove mandatory sprinklers from the guidelines, the moderator was met with cheers as he said "that motion clearly fails."

Read the full article at FireRescue1.com

Congratulations to President Ronny Coleman, the IRC FireSprinkler Coalition, and everyone who supported this life saving measure in Baltimore.

Good Job!!