Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SageVigiles

Federal HAZMAT Training

9 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has been to any of those free federal HAZMAT/WMD classes, most of them are held down South and they specialize in things like explosives, radiological, chemical agents, bio agents, etc. I'm waiting on my EPA 40-Hour HAZMAT Tech cert in the mail and after I receive that I want some more training. Unfortunately I can't afford, and my department won't pay, for the 472 Tech, so until I find some way to pay for that, I want to expand my HAZMAT training. Anybody have any info on these classes and some contact information to get involved with them? I'd appreciate the help.

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has been to any of those free federal HAZMAT/WMD classes, most of them are held down South and they specialize in things like explosives, radiological, chemical agents, bio agents, etc. I'm waiting on my EPA 40-Hour HAZMAT Tech cert in the mail and after I receive that I want some more training. Unfortunately I can't afford, and my department won't pay, for the 472 Tech, so until I find some way to pay for that, I want to expand my HAZMAT training. Anybody have any info on these classes and some contact information to get involved with them? I'd appreciate the help.

All of our career personnel have been to Anniston AL for the WMD-Haz-Mat Technician program, many of our offciers have been there for the WMD/IC program, a few for "Advanced" Decon and a few guys have gone for the IC/HOT program as well as some of the peer review course/evaluations. Absolutely top notch training with a good cross section of emergency services represented in most classes. I know that as an ICS/NIMS instructor we could only dream of having each of the disciplines so well represented. In my WMD/IC class we had personnel from the largest FD's and PD's in the country, Red Cross supervisors from places that actually do stuff, the DPW director of a major city, SWAT supervisors, and more. It's amazing to see how little many of us know about other disciplines. Many myths are exposed as well as eyes opened. And like anything else many networking possibilities exist after hours at the on campus pub or during a night on the town.

A few other places we've sent personnel (free to local agencies): Seccoro (?) NM, Elko NV and Las Vegas. These covered radiological courses, IED's and Flammable Liquids/Gases.

All of our career personnel have been to Anniston AL for the WMD-Haz-Mat Technician program, many of our offciers have been there for the WMD/IC program, a few for "Advanced" Decon and a few guys have gone for the IC/HOT program as well as some of the peer review course/evaluations. Absolutely top notch training with a good cross section of emergency services represented in most classes. I know that as an ICS/NIMS instructor we could only dream of having each of the disciplines so well represented. In my WMD/IC class we had personnel from the largest FD's and PD's in the country, Red Cross supervisors from places that actually do stuff, the DPW director of a major city, SWAT supervisors, and more. It's amazing to see how little many of us know about other disciplines. Many myths are exposed as well as eyes opened. And like anything else many networking possibilities exist after hours at the on campus pub or during a night on the town.

A few other places we've sent personnel (free to local agencies): Seccoro (?) NM, Elko NV and Las Vegas. These covered radiological courses, IED's and Flammable Liquids/Gases.

I haven't taken the course in Anniston, but the Sorocco New Mexico courses on energetic materials (explosives) was excellent and the new Elko NV course on Flammable liquids was a lot of fun and hands on activity. With both of these DHS foots the bill for just about everything. Great material, great cross section of people attending from all over the country and especially with NM, a mix of professions (LEO's, FF's, OEM).

Well worth applying to these if you have the time for the courses - your tax dollars at work :)

How much of the training do you as the student (or your department) have to pay for? Also, is there a list of courses offered? Thanks for the great answers guys.

Edited by SageVigiles

How much of the training do you as the student (or your department) have to pay for? Also, is there a list of courses offered? Thanks for the great answers guys.

The Anniston, Elkso, Seccoro and Vegas training all are "full boats". Basically you pay for any adult beverages or food if you want to skip the cafeteria (Anniston's is good). In Elko they gave us $75 Fire Bucks good for evening meals at most every establishment in Elko. Elko is part of the University of Reno system their website has info and Anniston is either under COBRA or the CDP (Center for Domestic Preparedness) I believe.

Obviously you fly yourself out there, right?

Government pays for (reasonable) travel costs, including car rental if needed.

I guess if you have a pilots licence, you could fly out there and get reimbursed up to the cost of the air ticket :)

Elko's program is not being funded anymore. Each program has a different travel arrangement. Anniston and Dugway take care of all of the booking arrangements. The Nevada Test Site let's you book it and reimburses you. Socorro books the flight, lets you rent a car, and reimburses your expense.