Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FFPCogs

Training programs

7 posts in this topic

Ok first off I realize this is the firefighting section but I have some questions for you all pertaining to training which are not training opportunities, so if this is the "wrong" place my apologies.

As a member of my FDs training division I would like to get a feel for how training is conducted elsewhere as I (we) are always looking at ways to better the training we provide our membership. To that end I have a few questions for dicussion.

1) How often do you train?

2) What type of training is regularly conducted?

3) Are your drills scheduled in advance? If so how long?

4) How are records kept? Does anyone keep individual personnel training records beyond copies of certs ect? (one of my ideas is to keep hard copy individual records in addition to company or departmental records for each member, tracking each drill so as to insure each member is up to date on not only "new" training but more importantly the basics).

5) Do you engage in scenario or company based drills? (For scenarios if so how often)?

6) Why is your training program designed the way it is? Or what do you hope to achieve by doing it the way you do it?

Ok well hopefully that will get the ball rolling and feel free to bring personal opinion into this for discussion, just no bashing alright guys.

Thanks

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs

FINALLY - A great topic of discussion!

1) How often do you train? Our Department is getting together roughly once a week, sometimes more, for training. We aim for a couple of evening sessions as well as one or two weekend drills / classes to give some flexibility.

2) What type of training is regularly conducted? Starting two months ago, we started scheduling two rope drills per month, seeing how it's a skill that we're all weak in due to a lack of use. In addition to that, we conduct at least one department drill that pulls all companies and personnel together, usually either a live fire session at the Training Center or an acquired building, when possible. Emphasis has been put on Truck company operations recently, and this month and next we'll revisit Engine Company ops. We also try to put out one evening class with a guest instructor. Last month we did Elevator Rescue, this month we're doing garden apartment fire strategies. We've also hosted a Water Rescue course and a Train Rescue course this year. On top of all this stuff, we have an in-house NYS Instructor who regulary gives classes. This year, we've had 2 HMFRO Annual Refreshers, EVOC, Pump Ops & Scene Support Ops in addition to some others. This has been an enormous benefit, as members who are tight on time no longer have to wait for a county offered class that may or may not have openings.

3) Are your drills scheduled in advance? If so how long? Each month we put out a training bulletin with the events for that month. I aim to get this out during the last half of the preceeding month. A weekly email of all Department events is sent out on Saturdays, and additional emails and text messages are sent the days before a drill or class as a last minute reminder, so to speak.

4) How are records kept? Does anyone keep individual personnel training records beyond copies of certs ect? (one of my ideas is to keep hard copy individual records in addition to company or departmental records for each member, tracking each drill so as to insure each member is up to date on not only "new" training but more importantly the basics). Record keeping is the biggest headache. Roughly once every other month I request a print out from OFPC to track members' State training records. Whenever a member completes a course given by the county or state, the certificates come to our records officer who puts it into our Firehouse Software system. We've been spending a lot of time too, reaching out to the members and encouraging them to check their files for old certificates, just to ensure they are credited for what they've done. I have to be honest, our County Fire Training Center has been excellent with helping us play catch up and tracking down certificates.

5) Do you engage in scenario or company based drills? (For scenarios if so how often)? Some times, after or during a call, we'll run through the worst-case scenarios and toss around ideas. Most of our drills have been skill reviews more then scenario-based, however in the last few months of the year, I intend to push some scenario-based drills, pulling together the skills honed during the past few months.

6) Why is your training program designed the way it is? Or what do you hope to achieve by doing it the way you do it? My "terminal objective," so to speak, is two parts. First, it's our intention to offer our members as many chances as possible to work together, cross-training each other to handle all fireground tasks. Just because someone is an Engine Company member, doesn't mean they won't have to throw a ladder or extricate someone. Secondly, we are pushing our members to be compliant and above in all required aspects we fall under. Using the "we're just volunteers" attitude does not cover you in court, and that's why we continue to pursue compliance in everything we need. We know we don't run a ton of calls (about 300-350 per year) so we need to keep our skills up by training to be best prepared on "game day."

Our Training Division was started a few years ago with "xchief2x" as the helm. He stepped down and it was put on me, but luckily I retained him to keep on doing NYS classes and helping with other drills. Our Training Division is made up of seven National Fire Service Instructors and members with either a lot of experience to offer or an expertise in a certain field. Our motto, which xchief2x (Car 2084 / Battalion 10) came up with, "Training today for a safer and more efficient tomorrow," is more of a mission statement, in my eyes. We've seen an impressive turnout and enthusiasm by our members to keep on improving themselves, and for that I am extremely proud. Calls are handled with a better sense of professionalism and a safety-first mindset. Members are quick to offer their help and ambitious to try new things. In my eyes, that's the payoff to a good training program.

Thanks John.

FINALLY - A great topic of discussion!

I thought so, but apparently we are a very small minority.

Our career crews conduct shift training on every Mon, Tues and Sat morning that they work. (24/48) Most sessions are 2-3 hours and the Sat drill is designed to allow call force personnel to attend and partake as members of the shift. This is not generally taken advantage of as much as hoped. The drill topic changes weekly so all three shifts follow the same topics and each drill includes a "Knot of the week" as in the past rope drills seemed to require going over knots too much. Call force personnel have regularly scheduled drills every other Wed. evening and the duty crew must participate.

All aspects of our jobs are covered. Shift training is fire only with EMS and Haz-Mat training held monthly on different Monday afternoons. Some drills are classroom, some apparatus floor others in the street.

This is the hardest part not having a dedicated training officer. We find that as a small combo FD, maintaining a two tiered training system is tough when you have numerous other duties including going to actual fires! We try for 6 months of scheduling. All mandatory drills (4-6) are scheduled for the year and posted in January to ensure proper attendance.

4) How are records kept? Does anyone keep individual personnel training records beyond copies of certs ect? (one of my ideas is to keep hard copy individual records in addition to company or departmental records for each member, tracking each drill so as to insure each member is up to date on not only "new" training but more importantly the basics).
All drills are recorded with a signature sheet. The topic, instructor, objectives and references are documented. The new software system will allow for "automated" tracking numerous ways for each drill. All shift training drills include a form that the officer of the day must complete which includes listing ten questions, comments, or ideas on how the topic relates to our operations, which ensures thoughtful completion of the drill. They also must provide two other resources on the topic (Norms's book, NIOSH, FE articles, etc). The hard part is actually following through while doing our jobs and being interrupted 2-3 times most days.

5) Do you engage in scenario or company based drills? (For scenarios if so how often)?
This is done frequently on shift drills. We do many "roll-ups" on scenarios for all members many times a year.

6) Why is your training program designed the way it is? Or what do you hope to achieve by doing it the way you do it?
Sadly it changes every few years as most models fail. This one was designed to limit time requiring career personnel to come in off duty while engaging call force personnel.

Training has come a long way. When I first got on the job, our training consisted of taking an engine and a truck down to the Bronx River, drafting from it and flowing the master stream on the aerial. Or we practiced knots.

As the years went by quickly, our officers started coming out of the FLSTPS program on Randall's Island, and came to the shifts with new and improved training ideas.

The Chief pretty much left it up to the tour commanders to cover the required 100 hours, and all the topics supposedly included in those hours.

Computers have added to the proficiency and productivity of the training programs.

We used to feel like the sign in sheets were just CYA stuff; just in case.

Training was just as often a chance for our shift members to get together and cook a great lunch, and enjoy the comradery.

Now officers have a greater responsibilty, as do the brothers, to do it right and make sure the paperwork is in order on the hard drive.

The fire service has always improved itself from the efforts of the members. If we waited for the dept. to take the lead, the brothers would still be drafting out of the Bronx River wondering what the lunch special would be. :-)

(Disclaimer: Being retired I am refering to the past about the dept. My comments should not be construed as passing any judgement on todays' management in my old department. I know those men who now lead, and I also know them to be quite competent and decent, k.)

Edited by efdcapt115

4) How are records kept? Does anyone keep individual personnel training records beyond copies of certs ect?

I should have answered my questions to start, so here goes.

1) The department drill night is Tuesday although the second Tues of the month is the monthly business meeting. Beyond that members especially newer ones, are encouraged to train whenever possible in addition to regular drill. It is also an unwritten rule if you will, that senior members NEVER refuse a request to train a member. It is not uncommon to pull a rig to the side of the firehouse and pull lines or throw ladders for an hour or so when a few guys are there.

2) Drills consist of the mandatories ie bloodborne pathogens, medical and haz mat refreshers ect as needed, but most drills involve company operations, driver's training or special topic drill for non probationary members as well as FF I or II classes when necessary. Probationary members are given a 12 week "probie" class to familiarize them with the Dept, its operations, personnel, equipment ect.

3) In this area there is room for improvement as drills sometimes are not scheduled or other factors force a change. Currently our training division is working on developing a schedule that will include not only the preplanned drill for each level of FF but also fallbacks to account for inclement weather, personnel issues or other unforeseen occurences.

4) Computer generated NIFRS stating type of drill and personnel present, a copy of which is placed in a department training binder as well as personnel files containing certs. While this adequately keeps records of drills and certifications, as I originally stated I am hoping to keep individual training records for each member in a personnel file beyond simply copies of certifications. The thought behind this is that this will allow for the training division or Officers to know exactly what EACH member has done specifically throughout the year. With the NIFRS we know that you attended drill and what the topic of the drill was, but we do not have specific knowledge of what YOU did exactly. In other words I want to know when was the last time member X operated a nozzle or pumped multiple lines ect ect. (what part of the evolution did each member accomplish).

5) Drills are company based (ie Engine, Truck, Rescue with the members being rotated through each) about 45% of the time. Another 35% will have the department drilling on specific topics as a whole. Roughly 20% of drills are run as scenario based drills. I am a firm believer in hammering the basics. When I served previously as an Officer I followed this formula, but without fail (except when weather prohibited) at least once through the course of an evenings drill regardless of the topic, the engine companies pulled what we used to call the "quick attack" evolution. This evolution consisted of 1 FF stretching the line, 1 grabbing the irons and sizing up the door, and one throwing a 24ft extension ladder and doing a walkaround, all of whom then entered with the hoseline. The chauffer handled water supply (when possible) and then operated the pump. (I should point out that our district is predominantly SFPD and well hydranted). I kept track of who did what so the following drill (or evolution if doing it multipe times in a night) functions were rotated. Now this may seem excessively redundant to some, but the fact is when it came time to do it "for real" it was automatic. There were variations thrown in as well based on the number of personnel available on the rig to the point of having a 2 man crew (meaning driver and 1 FF) get a line in operation (and yes I know all about OSHA but remember put the fire out and all the other problems go away...but that's another topic).

I still try to utilize the above drill formula by doing company ops weekly and then bringing all units together for a scenario about every 3-4 weeks. Another trait of mine was to do live burns at least 5 or 6 times during the course of the warmer seasons say April to October. For a variety of reasons this doesn't always currently occur, but as part of my department's training division I am working to get back to a similar system.

6) We do train extensively in all areas of the service including medical responses, extrication, RIT ect ect, but our "bread and butters" are those SFPD's, so by training in the manner in which we will regularly be operating I believe we are providing and reinforcing the skills our members will need to safely and effectively do the job.

As for what I hope to achieve, well certification is wonderful as is specialization, but to me good solid knowledge and practical ability with the basics of the trade is what will serve our members and our community best. I have met quite a few "experts" in this or that discipline who can't just go in and put a fire out without turning it into a major cluster ****. So for me, if I train our members hardcore to do what it is we do and we do it repeatedly, they will do it successfully when the time comes everytime, (this has been proven in my experience over and over). Nothing fancy, nothing complicated, just good "old school" firefighting...it gets the job done and gets it done right.

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs

I should have answered my questions to start, so here goes.

1) The department drill night is Tuesday although the second Tues of the month is the monthly business meeting. Beyond that members especially newer ones, are encouraged to train whenever possible in addition to regular drill. It is also an unwritten rule if you will, that senior members NEVER refuse a request to train a member. It is not uncommon to pull a rig to the side of the firehouse and pull lines or throw ladders for an hour or so when a few guys are there.

2) Drills consist of the mandatories ie bloodborne pathogens, medical and haz mat refreshers ect as needed, but most drills involve company operations, driver's training or special topic drill for non probationary members as well as FF I or II classes when necessary. Probationary members are given a 12 week "probie" class to familiarize them with the Dept, its operations, personnel, equipment ect.

3) In this area there is room for improvement as drills sometimes are not scheduled or other factors force a change. Currently our training division is working on developing a schedule that will include not only the preplanned drill for each level of FF but also fallbacks to account for inclement weather, personnel issues or other unforeseen occurences.

4) Computer generated NIFRS stating type of drill and personnel present, a copy of which is placed in a department training binder as well as personnel files containing certs. While this adequately keeps records of drills and certifications, as I originally stated I am hoping to keep individual training records for each member in a personnel file beyond simply copies of certifications. The thought behind this is that this will allow for the training division or Officers to know exactly what EACH member has done specifically throughout the year. With the NIFRS we know that you attended drill and what the topic of the drill was, but we do not have specific knowledge of what YOU did exactly. In other words I want to know when was the last time member X operated a nozzle or pumped multiple lines ect ect. (what part of the evolution did each member accomplish).

5) Drills are company based (ie Engine, Truck, Rescue with the members being rotated through each) about 45% of the time. Another 35% will have the department drilling on specific topics as a whole. Roughly 20% of drills are run as scenario based drills. I am a firm believer in hammering the basics. When I served previously as an Officer I followed this formula, but without fail (except when weather prohibited) at least once through the course of an evenings drill regardless of the topic, the engine companies pulled what we used to call the "quick attack" evolution. This evolution consisted of 1 FF stretching the line, 1 grabbing the irons and sizing up the door, and one throwing a 24ft extension ladder and doing a walkaround, all of whom then entered with the hoseline. The chauffer handled water supply (when possible) and then operated the pump. (I should point out that our district is predominantly SFPD and well hydranted). I kept track of who did what so the following drill (or evolution if doing it multipe times in a night) functions were rotated. Now this may seem excessively redundant to some, but the fact is when it came time to do it "for real" it was automatic. There were variations thrown in as well based on the number of personnel available on the rig to the point of having a 2 man crew (meaning driver and 1 FF) get a line in operation (and yes I know all about OSHA but remember put the fire out and all the other problems go away...but that's another topic).

I still try to utilize the above drill formula by doing company ops weekly and then bringing all units together for a scenario about every 3-4 weeks. Another trait of mine was to do live burns at least 5 or 6 times during the course of the warmer seasons say April to October. For a variety of reasons this doesn't always currently occur, but as part of my department's training division I am working to get back to a similar system.

6) We do train extensively in all areas of the service including medical responses, extrication, RIT ect ect, but our "bread and butters" are those SFPD's, so by training in the manner in which we will regularly be operating I believe we are providing and reinforcing the skills our members will need to safely and effectively do the job.

As for what I hope to achieve, well certification is wonderful as is specialization, but to me good solid knowledge and practical ability with the basics of the trade is what will serve our members and our community best. I have met quite a few "experts" in this or that discipline who can't just go in and put a fire out without turning it into a major cluster ****. So for me, if I train our members hardcore to do what it is we do and we do it repeatedly, they will do it successfully when the time comes everytime, (this has been proven in my experience over and over). Nothing fancy, nothing complicated, just good "old school" firefighting...it gets the job done and gets it done right.

Cogs

There is another aspect to training which I didn't mention and this is more opinion than standard.

For my department (and most VFDs that I've been involved with) as I see it a good deal of time and effort should be placed on training members to think for themselves. Now this does not mean freelancing, it means giving each member the knowledge and skills necessary to react to an incident properly without an Officer's direction. Now this may very well be the dinosaur in me, but it has been and still is my experience that Officers are not always intitially present when arriving at an incident. Our procedure places the Chauffer in charge and personally I find nothing wrong with that standard, but at a working fire it is the crew that will have determine the course of action once things are going...the Chauffer will have his hands full operating the rig. To that end to me it is imperative that members gain the knowledge and experience to make the "right" choice as to line size and placement, scene priorities, safety and so on (for other incident types the same applies...getting done what needs to be done safely and efficiently). This is where training comes in, by engaging members in scenarios or cimcumstances where no Officer is present during drills, followed by in depth critiques of the drill, they will BEGIN to gain the insight necessary into make those judgements. Informal critiques, which do in and of themselves constiture training, after even minor incidents also helps with this because it allows members to understand the decision making processes utilized by the Officer's in making particular decisions on scene. This further increases the members knowledge and prepares them to make those kinds of judgements themselves when they HAVE to...and again in my experience they will have to.

This philosophy may run contrary to some established ICS protocols, but it is a fact of life for many VFDs, as is the reality right or wrong that we don't always have a standard 4 man crew to work with. It is important to train to the guidelines and procedures that are now generally recognized as the standard, of this there is no doubt, but to me we MUST also take into account the realities of our own situation when developing a training program. Sometimes the two don't necessarily line up. As unpopular as the view may be I still adhere to the belief that once on scene we must do something to mitigate the incident with whatever resources we have available. By training members under this philosophy and using the experience of those who have done it as a guide, we can continue to do what has to be done safely even if it is not "by the book".

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs