Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

New Smeals Coming To Yonkers FD Early 2010

1 post in this topic

Yonkers FD continues to keep its fleet of Fire Apparatus current and modern, as per and according to the transcripts made as part of public record based on the CITY OF YONKERS BOARD OF CONTRACT AND SUPPLY MEETING OF NOVEMBER 26, 2008 – 10:30 AM (see: http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=cac...=en&gl=us)C

Chief Fitzpatrick and the members of the YFD who spec out these new rigs should be commended on keeping their fleet fresh and managed by the very best modern firefighting apparatus out in the marketplace today.

The City of Yonkers has approved and awarded (upon contingent of IG review, to which I understand was done back in late 2008) the purchase of 2 Smeal with Spartan Cabs (different from the Old 1998 Smeal Pumpers which had HME Cabs) as per Item # 7 - Bid 5421 below. I understand that 1 will be assigned to Engine Company 309 upon delivery. I do not know where the other unit will be assigned to (Probably Engine Company 313, as it is the next in line to be replaced, with the expected November 2009 delivery of 2 New American LaFrance Eagle Pumpers, previously awarded, being assigned to Engine Company 308 and Engine Company 306). Maybe a member of the YFD can clarify where the 2nd Smeal/Spartan Apparatus is scheduled to be assigned to?

As per Item 8, Bid # 5422, Yonkers has approved and awared (again upon continent of IG review, which I understand was done back in later 2008) the purchase of 1 Smeal, with Spartan Cab Rear Mounted Aerial Ladder (different from the last set of Smeal Rearmounts received that had HME Chassis). I understand that this new piece of aerial will arrive in early 2010 and will be assiged to Ladder Company 72.

As per Item 9, Bid # 5423, Yonkers has approved and awared (again upon continent of IG review, which I understand was done back in later 2008) the purchase of 1 Smeal, with Spartan Cab "Rescue Pumper" to which I understand will be assigned to Squad 11. The current ALF Eagle Rescue Pumper in use by Squad 11 will go into the Spare Pool, as Squad 11 currently does not have an adequate spare rig to use when Squad 11 goes into repair for service.

Here is the transcript from that November 2008 Meeting awarding the contracts:

7. Bid 5421 – Purchase of two pumper apparatus per Yonkers Fire Department

specifications.

FUNDING 060-007-0491-0200 BID OPENING 11/24/2008

Three bids received.

Award to low bidder: Award Amount

Smeal Fire Apparatus $447,000

Award contingent upon IG review of Vendor Background Questionnaire.

8. Bid 5422 – Purchase of one tandem axel rear mount 100’ aerial ladder apparatus per

Yonkers Fire Department specifications.

Three bids received.

Smeal Fire Apparatus $699,900

9. Bid 5423 – Purchase of one rescue pumper apparatus per Yonkers Fire Department

specifications.

Three bids received.

Smeal Fire Apparatus $518,000

Items 7-9 Approved 4 - 0