Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

NYPD: No COPS Aid

10 posts in this topic

APNewsBreak: AP sources: 4 big cities, no COPS aid

By DEVLIN BARRETT, Associated Press Writer Devlin Barrett, Associated Press Writer – 2 hrs 44 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Four major cities — New York, Seattle, Houston, and Pittsburgh — will get no money from a $1 billion economic stimulus program to help cities avoid laying off police officers, officials told The Associated Press on Monday.

FULL ARTICLE: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090727/ap_on_...o_recovery_cops

Isn't NYPD a few thousand officers short though? Even shorter then pre-9/11???

X635 I think your right on that part.

X635 I think your right on that part.

They are. Keep taking the test!

NYPD staffing levels are approaching those of the early 1990s down to about 34,000

This is idiotic. Does anyone put 2 and 2 together, and get 4? The more cops that were on the street allowed for a lot more proactive police work, which resulted in the crime rate dropping.

It's like in EMS, when someone tells you they stopped taking their high blood pressures meds because "they don't have high blood pressure anymore".

They drop staffing levels, crime is going to increase again.

I appologize I should have read the full article instead of skimming through it, I though this stimulus was to prevent layoffs as to more hiring. Then this stinks for nyc as last time I checked we have been attacked and will continue to be a target for terrorist.

Edited by Anesti

NYC isn't short officers. They have exactly what they need. The just adjust their desired head count to meet the actual head count. They're not stupid, they know crime will go up. They're just betting that the economy will improve faster then crime will climb and they can stay ahead of the curve.

They're not stupid, they know crime will go up. They're just betting that the economy will improve faster then crime will climb and they can stay ahead of the curve.

Yes, but if it doesn't, they're taking a gamble. NYPD loses what, about 40 officers a day to retirements, etc....and how long does it take to recruit, hire, train, and cut loose a new officer? NYC has had a DRASTIC drop in crime......if crime starts going up again, the city economy could be affected in other ways.

I understand the budgetary reasoning, but NYPD should be as staffed as possible.