Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

UConn Paramedic Service Shutting Down

5 posts in this topic

The University of Connecticut Health Center is killing off paramedic services to three towns in the Farmington Valley.

Town officials in Simsbury, Avon and Canton have been notified that the paramedic services provided by UConn will be eliminated in 60 days.

Plug Pulled on Paramedic Service

Hopefully not a sign of things to come...

I'm predicting this will go to AMR. I'm hoping that these towns which have money will do the right thing and start their own Paramedic service.

Do they do just ALS, or transports as well?

When the going gets tough cut EMS!

Does AMR have a station out there? Or would ASM (Ambulance Service of Manchester) be more likely to pick that up?

You all have to remember that UCONN Health and its paramedic / fire protection program on the campus are a state agency so if there are budget cuts this would effect their service for primary response. Simsbury as the article says uses UCONN Farmington as a back up/ secondary service when thier medic is unavailable. Besides where UCONN Farmington and Simsbury are located it is a great distance away.

On the flip side what is not discussed in the article is the fact if UCONN Farmington is called for their medic, they have to respond per the regional C-MED /State OEMS protocols regarding mutual aid.

Sage I think Aetna is the closest ambulance service out there, not AMR. I will check.