Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SRS131EMTFF

FDNY/NYTimes: The Barred Door

9 posts in this topic

Definitely feel bad for the guy. Lot of us in his position.

Interesting article about one member of what was going to be the new incoming but postponed class of FDNY firefighters and what it is like for him. I really feel bad for this guy....

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/nyregion...tml?ref=thecity

Interesting article. I do feel for all the people that were ready to go in the January class. But they have to realize, they took the test in January 2007, it is now March 2009. That is a year and 2 months. It took 7 years 9 months from the day I took the test to the day I was hired. And when the next class does go in, they go in.

I feel for him but at least he still has a job and didnt go to the academy and then find out no one was being hired

I feel bad too, but he could always move north and grab an application! We are always looking for some good help!

I feel for him but at least he still has a job and didnt go to the academy and then find out no one was being hired

If only that were true. Sadly the city does not give you enough notice that you are being hired. I wasn't even able to give a standard 2 week notice. These guys recieved letters 8 or 9 days before the academy was to begin. 3 days after that were told the offer was recinded. Kinda hard to go crawling back to your boss after that.

for the PD i got the call the night before. Call came 9pm that i was to report for 7am the next day.

My call kinda went like this....

"You have to show up on Thursday to get fitted for turnout gear."

"Does this mean I have the job - I've been hired?"

"...I can't tell you that..."

I do feel for the guy, but unfortunately as others have mentioned, it is what it is.

Edited by FFNick