Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Fire In The Citgo Sign, Boston MA Oct 15 2008

8 posts in this topic

Barry, I think you need to pay homage to your icon of college past. The Sox's need all the help they can get.

hmm.

Citgo sign at Fenway.

Are the Red Sox taking sides with Chavez?

I think they had a fire last year after the world series on the top of the green monster too...........

That's an interesting way to fight a fire.In one of the pics there are two guys pouring a 5 gallon jug of water on it and in another pic it looks like a guy is trying to put it out with a fire extinguisher not sure though I could be wrong.

Edited by texastom791

hmm.

Citgo sign at Fenway.

Are the Red Sox taking sides with Chavez?

The CITGO sign has been there since 1965. The oil company tried to dismantle it in 1983 but a grassroots group of Boston citizens saved it. Unfortunately some people see it as representing Hugo Chavez, but he was only 11 years old when it was first installed. For many current and former Boston residents (myself included) it served as a beacon for finding your way around the city. For the first two years I lived there it provided a neon glow outside my window, not to mention a ridiculous amount of RF interference! Glad this Boston landmark survived the fire! Go Yanks! (Yes, I am a walking contradiction.)

Edit: Also, the CITGO sign is on top of the BU Barnes and Noble building, not actually on Fenway Park. Ever since they built the Green Monster seats you don't see it on TV as much.

Edited by 242steve

I think they had a fire last year after the world series on the top of the green monster too...........

yeah they did I just looked it up and found an article about it I kinda remembered something about that when you said that . Here's a link to the site i found it on and there is a video of it too but it's not that great.

http://cbs3.com/sports/fenway.park.fire.2.570634.html

Edited by texastom791