Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest fdnyladder10

Rescue 1's Pierce

5 posts in this topic

I picked up on another website that R1s pierce, although started out well, is now beginning to suffer from the streets of manhattan, and spends quiet a lot of time in the shops, just like the old e-one did.

The r1 guys like the rig but it is suffering a bit with the demands placed on it.

Any confirmation or anything to the contrary on this, always good to get another opinion on things.

jedi

Bring back the Mack / Pierce rescues they worked for a long time and saw alot of fire in all area's of the 5 boro's.

CP

I picked up on another website that R1s pierce, although started out well, is now beginning to suffer from the streets of manhattan, and spends quiet a lot of time in the shops, just like the old e-one did.

The r1 guys like the rig but it is suffering a bit with the demands placed on it.

Any confirmation or anything to the contrary on this, always good to get another opinion on things.

jedi

The power train on all the rigs, I believe, is fairly similar so the brand of truck shouldn't really matter. What powers it and steers it is all the same. Bottom line, they run a lot on rough streets and are driven hard. Nothings going to last forever.

Are you in 10 truck?

I'm thinking the best thing that is going to hold up with that much weight on NYC's crappy streets is a Mack Terra Pro Cab Over (Just like the last generation of Mack's that came from the same line as the ME series did). Then shop the body construction to whomever...

SVI

Hackney

Pierce

Seagrave

ALF

Sutphen

KME

Ferrara

E-One

They all my heavy squad boxes

It would be interesting to know what's failing on the Rescues? It would stand to reason with the abuse the street conditions give, the bodies might crack, bend or other. Does someone know how the bodies are built? Formed stainless steel or extruded? We were given the option on our new RP and the builder noted the extruded bodies tended to hold up better when heavily weighted and run on punishing roads. We went with formed as this is not our conditions and we wanted a seamless sided body. I'm sure the spec committee at FDNY has seriously weighed all options, and few of us have the same resources and experience to draw from.