Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Within Harsh Report on Fatal Fire, a Nod to (FDNY) Firefighters’ ‘Can-Do Attitude’

4 posts in this topic

Within Harsh Report on Fatal Fire, a Nod to Firefighters’ ‘Can-Do Attitude’

By AL BAKER

Published: August 22, 2008

Here is the Halligan tool: a lightweight crowbar-like device used by firefighters to pry open locked doors, smash windows and punch holes in walls.

It hangs on a truck’s side at the headquarters of Ladder Company 1 and Engine Company 7, on Duane Street in Lower Manhattan. And as Firefighter John McConnachie pulls it from the rig on Friday and lifts its 8 ½ pounds up to the height of his chest — like an extension of his arm — he explains its place in the city’s long history of firefighting ingenuity.

FULL STORY: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/23/nyregion...amp;oref=slogin

Thats a great article.....thanks for posting it here. I do not know if I would have found it other-wise.

It's an excellent article....for a change.

I'm all for SOP's and precautions, but being able to think outside that box is what makes a great fireman stand out. These are the guys that everyone wants to learn from. It's procedures that we learn in the firehouse from senior men that are priceless.

Shockingly they got the Company's right! Im surprised it was not Cherry Picker 21 and Bucket Co. 1.