Brush Fires in Central Florida

2 posts in this topic

Wildfire battle continues as interstate reopens

Story Highlights

- Volusia County fire 20 percent contained Monday; 590 homes evacuated

- Fire in rural area of Brevard County scorched 2,300 acres, official says

- I-95 reopens Monday morning in time for rush hour

- Officials call in 100 additional firefighters on Monday to tackle blazes

(CNN) -- Firefighters have made some progress in battling three of four Florida wildfires, but the largest blaze was still frustrating efforts to contain it Monday, authorities said.

That fire, in Brevard County, had scorched about 2,300 acres near the town of Malabar, said Orlando Dominguez of the Brevard County Fire Rescue. The wildfire is in a rural area and threatened only a few homes, he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/05/12/florida.w...ires/index.html

For those of you who don't know the area, this would be east of Orlando between Melbourne and Daytona.

Edited by dadbo46

I'm in Winter Park (Orlando) just south of Volousia.... We're getting entrails of smoke from the fires. This is the FL dry season. Summer temps (90 today) with no rain for 2 weeks or more.

During the main part of the summer, we have rain for 20-30 minutes every day so the temps never get above 93-94 and the rain keeps the brush and soil in good shape to repel fire.

As a 27 year native of NY and a 4 year native of FL I can honestly say that NY summers are worse than FL. I've NEVER seen 100 degrees here and in NY you see it from July to August for a few days.

Anyhoo.... FL is well prepared for brush jobs. Tons of brush rigs running with engine companies and air support. The big ones that you are reading about are large and dangerous BUT not out of the ordinary for what FL departments normally deal with. The media needs something to report because Hillary and Obama have put us all to sleep.