Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnnyOV

Daytona 500 MCI- additional information

23 posts in this topic

If anyone had any questions on the MCI or unit designations because those can be confusing, post 'em here.

HUH WTH happen at Daytona 500? I havent heard anything big happening?

I didn't see anything either...Can you provide links?

I didn't see anything either...Can you provide links?

There are no links. I'm an EMT at the Speedway and was working Kart 4 yesterday and then the overnight after the event. The speedway never lets any information out like this to the media because of reputation issues, I figured you all would find it interesting however

At the beginning of the event, we were receiving calls and still alarms (people approaching us) at the rate of about 1 every 30 seconds

BTW: A normal 500 regarding EMS calls would be about 50-70 during the whole 500. There are also numerous grandstand fires, and other calls that are a norm believe it or not.

edit: i did post an IA however http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=23696&hl=

Edited by EMSJunkie712

I saw your IA post. Thanks.

Sounds like it was a hectic night.

I can appreciate wanting to keep quiet, but something is bound to come out sooner or later, especially once "the lawyers" get started...if you know what I mean...

Any ideas, speculation, as to what caused so many people to experience seizures, etc?

Has anything similar ever happened?

Fumes from the cars?

I saw your IA post. Thanks.

Sounds like it was a hectic night.

I can appreciate wanting to keep quiet, but something is bound to come out sooner or later, especially once "the lawyers" get started...if you know what I mean...

Any ideas as to what caused so many people to experience seizures, etc?

The lawers almost never get involved - the speedway has certain individuals, who write out certain things, with certain numbers on them, to people who experience certain events with the track immediately (during) the event to cover the whole court process, but i cant tell you exactly what that is.......

As for the large EMS event, and I quote from patients "Man, its the 500, of course i'm going to drink." Many of our patients are on medications that when taken with alcohol, especially in exorbitant amounts (normally in the 12-18 drinks within a few hours range) have severe reactions. Also people stop taking their meds because they know of the side effects of drinking with them, but dont think about what would happen if they stop taking them.

Last night was also in the 80 degree range with a high humidity, and everyone packed like sardines waiting for the buses to arrive to take them away had a high impact on the event. Plus the fact this was basically a sold out event with seating for roughly 200,000 people and an infield size of over 50,000.

Edited by EMSJunkie712

Heh Heh. Thanks for the detailed description. Now, it's as clear as day!

Forgot all about about the PARTAY'ing!

Thanks! B)

do you work with a kid named alex vergo?

he was in my EMT class and i think he works at Daytona...i could be wrong though

he was in my EMT class and i think he works at Daytona...i could be wrong though

They are 1 and the same.

haha now that i look at the location, im going it is you lol

I was at the race.... I saw the Kart stationed in the Lockhart Tower area (just between pit out and turn one) moving constantly. Not that the siren bothered me because I was one of those people who was 12+ deep at the time... Plus 4 corn dogs.

On a side note, I think that the emergency response at the track is great. I've raced there in amature events, been a crew chief for a Rolex 24hrs team several times and been a spectater at the 24hr, Daytona 500, as well as all the Bike Week dirt and superspeedway events and I've always been impressed with emergency response at the facility.

One question that someone may be able to answer.... A lot of the support equipment on track yesterday was from Michigan and Kansas speedways. Any thoughts on why that stuff was shipped in from that far away?

So what was the cause of the MCI? Heat related problems caused by overcrowding the area, or what? What was the final # of patients?

As for the large EMS event, and I quote from patients "Man, its the 500, of course i'm going to drink." ........ (normally in the 12-18 drinks within a few hours range)

Now, if they'd just learn to be RESPONSIBLE, medication or not, things like that would be a LOT less likely to happen.

Just imagine if somebody came out of a post-parade party or wetdown in that shape, or if it happened with the frequency that was described above. There'd never be another one! Of course, there will probably be another race next week, and will probably have similar scenarios occur there, too. :(

Lol that would be me

I was at the race.... I saw the Kart stationed in the Lockhart Tower area (just between pit out and turn one) moving constantly. Not that the siren bothered me because I was one of those people who was 12+ deep at the time... Plus 4 corn dogs.

On a side note, I think that the emergency response at the track is great. I've raced there in amature events, been a crew chief for a Rolex 24hrs team several times and been a spectater at the 24hr, Daytona 500, as well as all the Bike Week dirt and superspeedway events and I've always been impressed with emergency response at the facility.

One question that someone may be able to answer.... A lot of the support equipment on track yesterday was from Michigan and Kansas speedways. Any thoughts on why that stuff was shipped in from that far away?

:lol: that kart was probably me, or one of the other 3 stationed there. The cambel care center is a little station that most carts covering the front stretch hold at until they are called out. At events like the 500, we have 5 karts and 2 ambulances covering the entire front strech, and 90% of the time they are all out on calls.

As for the sirens lol, sorry, but its the most effective one we've found. People will scream and yell the most obscene things at us as we're responding to and from calls because of the noise, but i look at it as life over your ticket price / drunken state.

As for the equipment from other tracks, all of the EMS / Fire equipment is contracted out to daytona from the companies, and then either bought, or taken back by the company and sold to other agencies.

The track response recovery team that has the jet blowers / speedy-dry truck and vacuum truck are a completely separate entity and I have no idea how they work, other then that they most likely lease them out for the "speed week:

And thanks for the complements for all the other events. I'm a regular at working all of them, since its my part/full time job while i'm at college. We all take enormous pride in what we do, and its a honor to hear that its appreciated well.

So what was the cause of the MCI? Heat related problems caused by overcrowding the area, or what? What was the final # of patients?

I would have to unofficially say thats exactly what is was + dehydration and lack of intake of food

+ some not taking their medications as the root cause of the problem. People were standing in lines for hours after drinking nothing but alcohol all day for the buses to pick them up.

The final number of patients is unknown to me, but is an exorbitant amount. I would have to estimate that well over 150-200 people over the course of the day were taken or visted the infield care center then another 50 or so were taken to halifax hospital directly.

Now, if they'd just learn to be RESPONSIBLE, medication or not, things like that would be a LOT less likely to happen.

Just imagine if somebody came out of a post-parade party or wetdown in that shape, or if it happened with the frequency that was described above. There'd never be another one! Of course, there will probably be another race next week, and will probably have similar scenarios occur there, too. :(

:lol: we call the infield "Animal kingdom" for a reason...

unfortunately no one holds race fans in a public eye though

Referring to the MCI that occurred at daytona last night, one thing I forgot to put down was that command was transfered to the EMS coordinator from the Fire chief since it was a medical scene. Although I thought it was out of the ordinary, I thought it was the smart move.

They are all from ISC (International Speedway Corp.), the parent company of Daytona Speedway

They are all from ISC (International Speedway Corp.), the parent company of Daytona Speedway

correct....they also supply my wonderful pay check :D

correct....they also supply my wonderful pay check :D

Hey Vergo, do you guys wear SCBA to cope with the foul-smelling fans?! I mean, the smell of sweat, B.O., beer and nacho cheese is fantastic.... :lol:

Hey Vergo, do you guys wear SCBA to cope with the foul-smelling fans?! I mean, the smell of sweat, B.O., beer and nacho cheese is fantastic.... :lol:

We actually use the full Level A hazmat suits to go up into the stands...we also have Vick's Vaporub on the ready, just in case