Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

Yonkers- Tree Into House 02-10-08

9 posts in this topic

Date: 02-10-08

Time: 1530hrs

Units: E-311/Collapse Unit, 314; L-75; R-1; B-2

Description: Tree into a P/D. FD used all companies shoring interior of 2nd and 3rd floors. Req. DPW, Con Ed and Buildings Dept. Co's still operating at 1740hrs

Writer: Truck4

Out of curiosity, what teams / departments are available to help with this kind of thing (building collapse)?

Is it just Yonkers and Greenburgh currently for Westchester / Putnam? The Westchester Technical Rescue team may be available in the near future, I guess there's also Rockland. Can a Department / Battalion Car call County Control for a collapse team and let them figure it out?

I know that the Yonkers Collapse Rescue Team has responded Mutual Aid to at least New Rochelle for a Trench Collapse within the past 2 years. I am pretty sure if you call we will come...I am sure that either R1smokeeater, BillFitz, or Batt2 can confirm same. I do not have any immediate knowledge of additional services in Westchester County. In fact, I don't remember ever seeing another "Collapse Unit" that would carry the essential tools and wood to handle this type of situation.

I know New Rochelle has a collaspe unit. It isn't as big as ours but they do have one. I believe Eastchester has one also but not positive on that. (thank god we just recieved a new shipment of lumber that other day)

Yonkers has responded outside the city for collapse rescue capability several times over the years. We have never turned down a request. Many of the career departments, particularly New Rochelle, and Fairview, Hartsdale, and Greenburgh, have been getting up to speed with collapse rescue capabilities in recent years. As to who else "carries the essential tools and wood", there may be "teams" that have lots of tools and lumber, but the problem is having adequate number of trained personnel to respond in a timely fashion and use the stuff.

I know Yonkers sent a couple of units up to Hawthorne when the tornado hit.

R-1, Squad 11, Collapse Unit, TL-75, Batt-1, Safety Battalion, D/C , TRSU-1 (Technical Rescue Support Unit), SOC personnel to be exact.