Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

FDNY's New A.T.R.V. 329

5 posts in this topic

In the current edition of Fire Apparatus Journal (Jan-Feb), Jack Lerch profiled a very unique delivery for Engine 329 in Queens.

It's a 2007 Ford F-Super Duty 4x4/Frontline/Gabrielli "All Terrain Response Vehicle".

This unit will serve with E-329 in the Rockaways, protecting beachfront homes that are hundreds of feet from the roadway, on sandy roads. It does not have any water or a pump. When it responds to a fire, it will respond as a second (or primary) piece to E-329. It will stretch a 3" supply line from the Engine at the hydrant on the street to the structure involved. From there, handlines can be deployed off this unit, as well as a fixed deck gun can be fed. This unit will also carry basic EMS equipment and a stokes, as well as a surfboard. It also had deflating tires to drive on sandy surfaces, with an air compressor on board to refill the air in the tires when the unit returns to a paved surface. It also has a winch on the front and PTO generator for lighting.

In a very basic form, it's a manifold wagon. This replaces a similar 1986 GMC/Ward 79 Unit currently in service.

I find this a great concept. Slightly modified, this unit would make an excellent concept for many of the communities in our area that have houses down long, narrow driveways. I believe Golden's Bridge has a Ford F-550/4 Guys mini-pumer on order that's of similar size to this, for use in limited access areas and long driveways.

(Information from FAJ column and FDNY shops, Photos by x635/me)

CLICK BELOW TO VIEW THE FULL SET OF EMTBRAVO.COM SPY SHOTS:

http://www.emtbravo.com/SpyShots/FDNYATRV329.html

post-11-1199396051.jpg

I find this a great concept. Slightly modified, this unit would make an excellent concept for many of the communities in our area that have houses down long, narrow driveways.

If anyone wants to see the WC version of this rig (with the modifications that Seth mentions) go to Millwood's website or stop by.

MA-10

1989 Ford F-350 4wd diesel standard cab for shortest WB possible.

Hale single stage 750gpm pump with enough discharges to push 1250+ with a good supply

Prepiped class B foam (a modern unit would have CAFS)

150gal water / 30gal (if I remember) class B

1000ft (yes one thousand) of 4inch supply line

150/200ft preconnects

Winch

Standard engine company tools minus the smoke ejector

Forresty hose and quick attack forrestry hose packs

Rakes

Shovels

Water Can

AB Extinguisher

18in Bar Chainsaw

Brackets for carrying Zodiac above hose bed.

I've never seen a rig this small with this much capability. It has the old non-turbo 7.3L International diesel so it's a pig. With a modern 350hp/650ft-lb Powerstroke/Cummins/Duramax I don't see why this rig refit on a modern framcouldn't spin a 1000+gpm pump and truly be a mini-engine not just a lowley mini-attack.

I saw that at the rock and thought it looked like fun. It was dark and I did not have a camera so hence no pictures. Its gonna be a hit when summer drill's bring the Rockaway boy's out surfing!

Yes, Golden's Bridge has a new unit on order as x635 mentioned. It is being built by 4Guys on a Ford F550 4WD chassis. It will have the equipment mentioned by MFC2257 (minus the forestry hose) and a bit more water (though no foam). The new unit should be in service this spring after delivery and training.