Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PVFD233

NIOSH Releases Florida Recruit Death Report

4 posts in this topic

from firehouse.com

NIOSH Releases Florida Recruit Death Report

Updated: 11-29-2007 04:13:52 PM

On Sept. 17, 2005, Kevin Enfinger, 22, collapsed while jogging at the Institute of Public Safety in Tavares, Fla.

The recruit, who weighed 304 pounds and had a history of high blood pressure, asthma and a previous heart condition, had received permission from a doctor to participate in the firefighting training.

Federal investigators noted: "The physical exertion associated with the Trainee's physical fitness training probably triggered his sudden cardiac death."

The probe of the recruit's death was initiated a month shy of the first anniversary of the incident.

The class started the day with a timed gear donning drill. After that, they changed into shorts, t-shirts and running shoes. They formed two lines, each line carrying a stretched-out section of dry 2-and-a-half-inch hose line, and began a slow jog. The recruits were spaced about five feet apart. After making the turn to come back to the training area, a distance of 300 to 400 yards, Enfinger collapsed, according to the report.

His crew immediately started treatment, and personnel from a fire station across the street responded to assist. Despite the early intervention, including ALS care and 50 minutes of resuscitative effort, Enfinger died.

Friends said to combat fatigue, he had been taking vitamins and caffeine pills. However, his drug test was negative.

However, several heart defects were discovered during the autopsy.

NIOSH investigators suggested that fighters are cleared for duty by a physician knowledgeable about the physical demands of firefighting, the personal protective equipment used by firefighters, and the various components of NFPA 1582. Encourage firefighters to provide accurate medical history information to the fire department physician.

Enfinger's death is not included in the U.S. Fire Administration's data base because he was not a member of a fire department.

The entire report can be viewed at Here

Edited by SPFC56-233

It doesn't say how tall he was but even at 304lbs I don't think he should have been allowed in the class. HTN, ASTHMA as a pre existing medical condition and the DR said he could go to the FIRE ACADEMY? I am puzzled by this. I wonder if the DR can be sued and why didn't the FD step in say that he was at risk. They new the PHYSICAL DEMANDS he was going to have to endure. CLUELESS.

I am curious if the MD was given a copy of 1582. Use of beta agonists like albuterol is an automatic failure of the physical, and if you are following 1582, ends your FF time. Key word in that phrase is IF, of course. I am by no means saying 1582 guarantees anything, but it is a start.

ANd, being 304 pounds and having HTN and asthma should have been reg flags for a number of people. Sounds like a few links the chain done broke.

What amazes me is that I still see departments sending people to training that are in the same or close to the same condition as this person was. Then they hand in a piece of paper saying they have had a physical and fit test and are cleared to wear a respirator. Then the flip side is you have to explain to people that are members of departments whom do the right thing why they can't do what the other guys is doing. Or even worse the ones that want to buck the system and love to say how its "bull (poopie)" that they were denied interior status. Nevermind the 6000 calories a day, the twinkies, cokes and big macs... This is a shame and I won't be surprised someone doesn't go after someone. That is why there are physicals...sometimes you have to protect people from themselves.