Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

LODD Waterbury, CT K-9 Officer "Domino"

6 posts in this topic

Police dog mourned at service

BY ROBYN ADAMS REPUBLICAN-AMERICAN

Despite his own injuries that proved fatal, Domino's last act of valor was protecting his partner Waterbury police officer Matthew Smith.

On Friday, a memorial service fitting of an officer …#8221; bag pipers, a police chaplain offering prayer, a tribute from a fellow handler and officers in dress blues …#8221; was held for Domino who was remembered as a loyal partner and friend.

The service, held in the Police Activity League's gymnasium on Division Street, was packed with officers. There were 60 police dog handlers from around the state and as far away as New York who brought their four-legged partners to the service.

Domino was killed Nov. 10 in an early morning motor vehicle accident. Smith and Domino, who snooped out narcotics and tracked down criminals in hiding, had left a call when the cruiser and a Cadillac collided at Highland Drive and Highland Avenue. The mangled mesh of cars were total losses.

"The night of the accident I was able to get out of the car and fell to the ground," Smith said as he tearfully talked about his partner. "He came out, laid next to me and protected me. He stuck with me until the end."

Pictures of the service can be found at Waterbury Blog

As a fellow dog owner I can't imagine what Officer Smith must be going through, this was his partner and I'm sure one of his best friends. And to the end Domino was loyal in so many ways, he went to check on him and lied down beside him to protect him even to his dying breath. That is what he was trained to do, but I like to think that is what he would have done anyway after the years they spent together after seeing Officer Smith injured he wanted to comfort him.

I am very glad that Domino received a full Police Dept funeral for his LODD. And the respect shown by other K9 officers throughout the Tri-state area was very impressive and deserving of such a dedicated dog.

R.I.P K-9 DOMINO

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, he is your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion".

K-9 cop is still a cop. rest in peace Domino.

RIP DOGGIE...

THIS HAPPENED JUST BLOCKS AWAY FROM MY PARENTS HOUSE IT WAS NOT A PRETTY SCENE.

SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS OF A FRIEND IVE RAISED MY DOG FROM AN 8 WEEK OLD PUP AND AFTER 3 YEARS HE IS LIKE MY 4th SON

Rest in Peace, Domino.

As my cousin was a K-9 deputy for the San Diego Sheriff's Department, I can only imagine the emotions being felt by Officer Smith on the loss of his partner and friend. Thoughts and prayers go out to him.