Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dc2t

Insurance Adjusters

7 posts in this topic

Have you ever encountered the slimeball insurance adjusters who monitor radio traffic and suddenly show up on the fire scene and stand

on the corner and try to get the homeowners to sign over the adjustment to them. They also call neighbors and pass themselves off as fire officals to get information on the job. There are laws regarding the adjusters but there is a growing number of them who

skirt the law. [-X :twisted:

These are Public Adjusters that handle property damage claims only. They are lower then dirt. Most do not have any morals. Most do not represent themselves as officials but as a representative of their insurance company and are looking do board up and smoke/water remediation.

There are also personal injury attorneys and vehicle recovery people that monitor the scanners and have representatives out at the accident scene while patient is being preped for transport. I have encountered a few who have identified themselves as members of other agencies offering assistance as they pass by. Some have even offered me money for information or to just call them after a run to give them a "lead" for potential clients.

I am in the insurance industry (NOT a public adjuster) and if you have any info on insurance people who are not acting ethically, call the NYS Insurance department or the National Insurance Crime Bureau.

Yes, I have encountered them several times. At a job we had at a well known family/business in town one showed up and sweet talked the family into settling by the time we had taken up. Well, the repair bill was way more then the damage they settled for and almost had to close the business. We, the FD was blamed and got a bad name in town for a while, as the people thought we brought this guy in. Needless to say, it took a long time to patch things up with the family and the towns people.

These folks, if identified can be delt with very easily.... The IC at a job essentially has eminant domain over the property while operations are underway. If one of these individuals is identified at a scene warn them once, and if they remain in the area or attempt to re-contact the homeowner while you have command, have them arrested for tresspassing. Then while they are posting bail or trying to talk their way out of it at the Police Department, find out what firm they work for and report them not only to their firm (so that if the firm has any morals they will fire them) and report them to the NYS Insurance office so that a permanant mark can be put on their license OR have their license suspended.

I think it is very important to assign someone to stay with the homeowners or accident victims while at a job. There are usually older members of the department, ladies aux, members on restricted duty etc that are available to do this. It provides several positive functions.... It prevents the media from harassing the people, it prevents insurance scavangers from influencing them in a time of high emotion, and also provides a set of eyes and ears near the people during operations so that if something ever happens and is brought back against the FD we can say "Well Mr. and Mrs. Jones I assigned FF Johnson to stay with you and see to your needs while we operated at your residence, and he informs me that there is no way that you could have seen that (?) because when it happened you were down at the ambulance with him getting checked out etc.... " or whatever the scenerio might be.

Edward Smith

Captain (2254)

Millwood Fire Company

I have encountered them several times as well.

At a fire about 2 years ago they were calling the neighbors and saying that they (he) was the Town Fire Inspector, and gave the name of the Fire Inspector who retired 10-12 years prior.

He stated he needed information to complete the fire report. Thank God the neighbor's told the homeowner, while we were still on the scene, and I told the homeowner that it was very interesting that this guy needed info for the fire report, seeing how I'm the one who does the report!

Anyway we called in the State Police and the opened an investigation on it.

These guys have also been up in Putnam. I was working one evening when Mahopac had a structure fire and shortly there after I got a call from someone identifying himself as a Lieutenant from Mahopac and asking questions about the fire (location, owner etc).

Needless to say, i did most of the question asking and when he found out who he was dealing with he quickly hung up. Later we found out he was also calling neighbors of the homeowner trying to get information.

The IC was notified about the calls had he requested a case report so that if the person was located a charge of criminal impersonation (of a Fire Lieuenant) could be filed.

When my in-laws had a fire a few years ago, I sent a few of them packing.. FD hadn't yet picked up, and they were already snooping. I wasn't in the FD yet, and I had my hands full chasing them and News12 reporters away..

They did end up using a public adjuster, but it was someone referred by a friend who they had worked with multiple times in the past. Would never reward the types that show up at a scene with any of my business.