Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oswegowind

Jonesville, SC-Fuel Tanker into House-9/6/07

1 post in this topic

Date: 9/6/07

Time: 1130 (approx)

Location: Forest St x Highway 176, Jonesville, SC (Union County)

Departments: Local JD, SC Highway Patrol

Description: Fuel tanker vs private residence

Links: Click Below

Writer: Oswegowind

UNION COUNTY, S.C. -- A man who was sitting on a couch in his home was injured Thursday morning when a fuel tanker truck crashed into his house.

The wreck happened near Highway 176 at Forest Street in Jonesville. The man was the only person in the house at the time. He was taken away in an ambulance, but he was conscious when he left the scene, witnesses said.

The South Carolina Highway Patrol said that truck driver, Herman Worthy, 54, of Winnsboro, S.C. parked the truck at the Mini-Mart convenience store across the street at about 11:30 a.m. and went into the store.

A clerk told the truck driver that the tractor trailer was rolling, and Worthy ran out, but was unable to do anything to stop the truck before it hit the house, about 150 yards away.

A witness told WYFF that the South Carolina Highway Patrol, the Jonesville Fire Department and a hazardous material team all reported to the scene. Workers from the Department of Transportation were also at the scene of the wreck.

According to the witness, the tanker was carrying at least 9,000 gallons of diesel fuel. The Highway Patrol said that there was no fuel spill in connection with the wreck. The truck is owned by Winnsboro Petroleum.

He said that the impact knocked the house off its foundation and left the cab inside the home.

Butch Parker, a family friend, said, "(I'm) just thankful that the lady that lived here was gone to the bank to cash a check. If she hadn't, she'd have been in that kitchen."

A woman whose husband tried to help the injured man talked to WYFF.

Riley Keith said, "Me and my husband ran down here and the guy was calling out the front door and the truck driver was kind of holding him up. My husband's in the National Guard and he came down here to see if he needed any help and he was trying to hold him up to make sure he was getting enough air."

There was no immediate word on the condition of the man. His name has not yet been released.

Taken from: NBC affiliate, WWYF4.com

Video: Video from WWYF 4 Newscast

Google it: Google Search Results for this Incident-provide free of charge as always! MFY2007