Links: http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/06/utah.mine.ap/index.html

Writer:

6 miners trapped in Utah coal mine collapseStory Highlights

The coal mine collapsed Monday shortly after a magnitude 4.0 earthquake

Earthquake was centered less than 20 miles away from Genwal mine

The earthquake occurred at 2:48 a.m. local time; cave-in reported 1 hour later

Next Article in U.S. »

Read MAP

HUNTINGTON, Utah (AP) -- Six miners were trapped Monday when an underground coal mine collapsed less than 20 miles from epicenter of a minor earthquake, authorities said.

The quake was centered under the Huntington Canyon area, southeast of Salt Lake City, Utah.

The Genwal mine reported a "cave-in" at 3:50 a.m., an hour after the magnitude 4.0 earthquake, the Emery County sheriff's office said.

"Rescue workers are on scene trying to locate six miners that are unaccounted for," the sheriff's office.

Rocky Mountain Power, a utility with a power plant in the area, sent a rescue team and heavy equipment to the mine, about 140 miles south of Salt Lake City, spokesman Dave Eskelsen said.

A command center was being set up in Huntington, about 15 miles from the mine, said Teresa Behunin, an accountant with Utah American Energy, which owns the mine. She had no other details.

The sheriff's office had said earlier there were no reports of damage or injuries blamed on the quake, centered under the Huntington Canyon area. E-mail to a friend

Edited by x710