Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

LAPD SWAT

6 posts in this topic

IMG_8262.jpg

While in LA last week, we had the rare opportunity to get a tour of LAPD SWAT at Metro Division. SWAT took delivery of this Pierce Arrow XT in January. It serves as a command post for the hostage negotiators, which is the center door passenger side. This area extends out off the drivers side. The side and roof top compartments contian tactical equipment. The rear has a step-up to a 5-ft X 8-ft area with more weapons and gear. The drivers need a CDL by California law to drive it.

For more pics of LAPD SWAT's vehicles-

http://onthejobny.com/gallery/The-Latest/

thats a beauty

I had read somewhere that the big truck used in the movie "SWAT" was given to the LAPD after filming. Anyone know if thats anywhere near being true, and if so, do they still use it?

Nice shot Truck4, on that and the others!!! I'm jealous! That's one of my favorite Pierce pieces. I hope we see a similar one with ESU markings for Yonkers!

I was supposed to shoot it last April, but due to circumstances I couldn't.

I've seen and photographed LAPD Rescue 3, it's quite a cool vehicle as well. If I remember correctly, it's based on a Ford chasis.

The Squad 51 pictured currently at LACoFD I believe is a spare.

I understand the LAPD's Bomb Squad rig is off the same chassis, and SDFD is getting a Bomb Squad rig like LAPD's. SDFD's rig is supposed to be in in the next couple of months.

I had read somewhere that the big truck used in the movie "SWAT" was given to the LAPD after filming. Anyone know if thats anywhere near being true, and if so, do they still use it?

Last I had heard on another board was it was still sitting in a lot at Universal, and that was 2005 I think.

Duane