Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

What Is An NYPD Task Force?

4 posts in this topic

What exactly is an NYPD "Task Force", in terms of Manhattan South Task Force, etc.

I'm assuming it's a precinct that does specific details in the named area encompassing several precincts.

Task forces cover several precincts with additonal manpower. Manhattan South Task Force covers all pcts in the lower half of Manhattan. Brooklyn and Queens are also split North and South. Staten Island and the Bronx have one task force each. Transit also has 1 task force for each boro , except Staten Island. In the precincts, Task Force provides addtional manpower for patrol, radom checkpoints, etc. They are often deployed where there is crime patterns or large crowds, i.e Time Square on a Friday/Saturday night. They also are the first to respond to mobilizations.. serious crimes that have just occurred robbery/assault/burglary/missing persons. In transit, the task forces provide coverage on the trains late at night (uniformed train patrol). During the daytime more plainclothes coverage for pickpockets/ quality of life crimes. Transit task forces are also deployed based on crime patterns, but do not respond until the last level (Level 4 ) mobilizations, do to the fact they are spread out over the entire boro, and would have to respond by train.

Thank you grumpy for the very useful information. I know the Bronx Boro TF is right off of the Deegan by the that sleezy motel south of I95 but where are the others stationed?

Mnahattan South is on W 42 street between 10 and 11 avenuesManhattan North task force is on West 126 st, nect to the 26 pct. Transit Manhattan is at W42 st/ 8 ave inside the subway, Bronx transit is up on 180 street inside Transit District 12. transit also has a city wide task force that turns out of Lorimer Street on the L train. the other locations I do no know

Edited by grumpyff