Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Real Airhorns Or Mechanical Sirens On Ambulances

10 posts in this topic

I was wondering which agencies have REAL airhorns on their ambulance, such as the Norwalk Hospital EMS Bus at the link below:

http://x635photos.com/displayimage.php?pos=-603

I've worked on ambulances and found them to be extremly effective, even though people are still idiots. In fact, I think they should be standard on all ambulances.

As for the Norwalk bus, it's airhorn kinda sounded like a cruise ship. It worked, because people heard it and looked in their rear view mirror expecting to see a big cruise ship!

And, the Timberwolf Mechanical Siren can't be beat, although LA City FD is the only user I know (AND AIRHORNS and electronic siren):

[attachmentid=2801]

....although I think it should have more warning lights as well....

post-11-1180116612.jpg

New Canaan EMS has real airhorns on their ambulances just below the front fender. It helps when approaching heavy traffic intersections or going down Route 123 or the Merritt Parkway and moving traffic to the side of the road if it backed up and you must drive up the middle of the road.

Both of Putnam Valley's Ambulances have AirHorns. The 2001 Horton has Grover 18" Horns on the cab roof, and the 2006 Wheeled Coach are short horns mounted under the lightbar (was spec'd for same horns and location as 2001, but arrived this way unsure.gif ). center mounted lanyard in both rige so either driver or co-pilot can activate them. Trust me they leave the 200 watt siren in the dust when it comes to clearing an intersection biggrin.gif .

Pics can be seen on http://www.putnamvalleyambulance.org

Out here on the Left Coast, you see both. Alot of our EMS providers are the private companies, and drive type 2 or 3 with the sickly electronic airhorns and siren.

Many of the fire departments have gone to the Freightliners, and some have gone with the "Q" and real airhorns. I was photographing Burbank Fire's Rescue 11 in front of FS15 last weekend when they received a response. Kind of different to hear a medic rig with the "Q".

This should be standard equipment on all Ambulances

post-80-1180119416.jpg

Philipstown VAC has them on their 06 Wheeled Caches. I never use em.

On our 2 new Horton Medium Duty buses, we have the Electronic Q and the airhorns mounted on the fenders of these buses came standard with the cab. Not sure of the brand.

The electronic Q and these airhorns, MOST people will get out of the way.

We have gotten some ballbusting from our local FD because they think that only fire trucks should have any type of Q!

Mamaroneck EMS have real air Horns in our rigs.

EMS-19 has one that sound's almost louder then any of The village's Firetrucks.

EMS-10 (new) Sound like a Train Horn, And also has the electronic Q

EMS-10 (old) Sound like a dyeing seal but it must of sounded loud when it was new.

EMS-19:

[attachmentid=2808]

EMS-10 (NEW):

[attachmentid=2809]

post-1072-1180135377.jpg

post-1072-1180135438.jpg

Edited by ems-buff

Sorry i wanted to add these to the Above post but it wouldn't let me.

[attachmentid=2811]

[attachmentid=2810]

post-1072-1180135749.jpg

post-1072-1180135772.jpg