Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Subway Rescue Simulator Photos - Randalls Island

11 posts in this topic

That's awesome.

As a (well, not currently) frequent recreational rider of Metro North, I've noticed during rush hour, and even sometimes at off peak hours, the Metro North trains are PACKED. WIth three lines running through Westchester, if a severe incident were ever to occur, it probaly would affect not only the department the line runs through, but multiple othger agencies. In a nutshell, every Westchester FF and EMS provider should be required to take a class on train emergencies.

I wonder what it would take for Westchester Fire Training Center to obtain one of the old M-1's they are disposing of, build a short railbed for the train with simulated third rail, and they will have a useful prop there, and it could even be an hour segment of FF1.

Metro North repainted and donated an Engine to the Childrens Hospital, I wonder what it would take to get the above done?

Probably a few hundred thousand dollars and someone to lobby the County Govt.

I think most of the old M1s have been already been sent for scrapping sad.gif The high cost of steel took care of that, as Metro North scrapped almost everything that was sitting dead for years in Croton. Most likely a contact to Metro North, and maybe pay for the transportation costs..

Just out of curiosity, was this facility funded by homeland security money? Or was this paid in full by the city?

has the county offerd any Train accident courses in the past for volunteers?

has the county offerd any Train accident courses in the past for volunteers?

There is usually one every year, or there was for some time.

Having an old M-1 at the training center would be a great idea. You coul lift it and all sorts of things. It would be a better rail related prop than the silly tank car. (Sorry, I just think it's silly)

No one will know how receptive Metro North would be to the idea. They'll be scrapping several hundred rail cars over the next 5 years or so. It wouldn't be such a stretch to think they might donate one. The scrap value is REALLY high, but one isn't going to break the bank and the tax right off would still be good. If would save them from having to send it all the way to Ohio for the torch.

Last I heard, 30 M1s are left, to be used for shuttle service to the new Yankee Stadium station. Now would be the time to start making inquiries as to getting one for training in a few years. I think LIRR donated an M1 to Nassau or Suffolk county(not sure which one). Metro North also provides training to departments, I think you just have to call. I know Pleasantville did it a couple of times. Once, one of their chiefs came to our firehouse for a presentation, and I remember going to the yard in North White Plains.

I know it use to be Chief McLenan running the MTA fire brigade. Some of you guys have probably seen him ridding in on the Arson Elephant. If he's still running the show, he'd be the guy to go to if you want to arrange training with Metro North. He's a real good guy.

Last I heard, 30 M1s are left, to be used for shuttle service to the new Yankee Stadium station.  Now would be the time to start making inquiries as to getting one for training in a few years.  I think LIRR donated an M1 to Nassau or Suffolk county(not sure which one).  Metro North also provides training to departments, I think you just have to call.  I know Pleasantville did it a couple of times.  Once, one of their chiefs came to our firehouse for a presentation, and I remember going to the yard in North White Plains.

This is true, there are only 30 M1s left, but the M2s will be headed to the dealine in the next 5 years, or so. I believe a hundred or so belong to Metro North and not CDOT. It would be interesting, someone should make the push.

Most critical part of a man under operation is verifying the power is off. I went through the subway simulator at the rock and it was basic. Was working in Rescue 5 and we did a drill at the Staten Island Rail Yard and it was much more informative. The cars vary so you need to be fairly familiar with each one if you attempt a rescue in situation that you can not verify if the train is braked or dead from lack of power.

Just take some 20 ton bottle jacks, insert a piece of steel or wood into the suspension of the train, and lift away, it only takes a hair to release a person from underneath the wheels.

Stay Safe!