Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fire at Watkins Glen International Speedway

6 posts in this topic

Fire at Watkins Glen: Firefighters in Schuyler County were battling a fire late tonight at the Glen Club at Watkins Glen International racetrack in the town of Dix, NY. Although information was sketchy , flames were visible from nearby roads, but media was not allowed onto the WGI property. County Route 16, which was once part of the original road course and goes by the WGI grounds, was still open although state police directing traffic were questioning motorists about their destinations. Mutual aid was called as Dundee volunteer firefighters were standing by at the Watkins Glen firehouse. The Glen Club is the racetrack’s catering facility that is also used for special parties. The track’s catering kitchens are located there. The Glen Club is located near the top of the hill after people enter the track at Gate 2. It faces the track’s Esses. The facility has expanded its schedule this winter, holding wedding receptions and other special functions. One such function was tied to the Daytona 500 last month. People paid to watch the race on large screens at the club on race day. The track reopens for the 2007 season on April 29. The first race weekend is June 8-10, the Sahlen’s Six Hours of the Glen

Fire at Watkins Glen International Speedway

Updated: 3/6/2007 11:26 PM

By: Web Staff

There is a major structure fire at the most famous race track in the state.

The club house at the Watkins Glen International Speedway caught fire this evening.

The president of the speedway tells us there is extensive damage to the building and it may be a total loss.

But at this point he says the track itself should not be affected.

No one was inside the clubhouse at the time of the fire and no one was hurt.

We will have much more on this story with the morning news.

http://www.news10now.com/content/top_stori....asp?ArID=97516

From Dutchess County Weekend up at Montour last Year.

Just found it slightly funny and felt I had to post it.

user posted image

That sucks... I used to race my Porsche at Watkins Glen... The Club is a great place when they have dinners and parties on race weekend.

I wonder if this is going to effect anything for the Nextel Cup series race later this year

I wonder if this is going to effect anything for the Nextel Cup series race later this year

If the building is a total loss, it will limit some of the VIP hospitality that goes on at the club during the race. As far as the remainder of the event goes, it shouldn't make a difference.