Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scottyk107

USAR to Help Central Florida?

8 posts in this topic

Were any Westchester or New York USAR teams asked to come down to Central Florida and give a hand for search and rescue? The several tornados missed where I am in Orlando by about 20 miles and the damage they are showing on TV is pretty bad; I-4 is closed down all the way up to 95 except for emergency vehicles.. Just wanted to know if they asked for any help from other states.

NY only has one USAR team made up of NYPD, FDNY, and FDNY EMS. That being said I'd be suprised if any USAR teams were activated. Especially one outside of the two all ready from florida. As tragic and devastating as it is it doesn't cover a very large area. Not like a hurricane, earthquake or flood

Florida pretty much has there act together, They hardly ever ask for much help, they are pretty much on top of there game down there

I could be wrong, but I think we have 4 USAR teams in Florida....

Central Florida (Orlando, Orange County Fire Rescue, Seminole County Fire Rescue)

North Florida (Jacksonville)

West Florida (Tallahassee)

South Florida (Miami-Dade)

Really I could be wrong here, but I remember seeing 4 seperate regional rigs for the state.

NY only has one USAR team made up of NYPD, FDNY, and FDNY EMS.  That being said I'd be suprised if any USAR teams were activated.  Especially one outside of the two all ready from florida.  As tragic and devastating as it is it doesn't cover a very large area.  Not like a hurricane, earthquake or flood

NY only has one USAR team?

It was my understanding that there are 2 USAR teams for NYS.

New York Task Force 1 (NYTF-1) is composed of members from the New York City emergency services personnel.

Task Force 2 (NYTF-2) is comprised of the remainder of the state, volunteers and career staff who have the training, and volunteer for the response as the USAR team.

I actually met some members of NYTF-2 while observing the NYS Rescue Challenge up in Utica this past fall. Present were collapse teams from Utica, Syracuse, Rochester, Yonkers, US Marine Corps, and, the New York State Task Force 2.

NY only has one USAR team?

It was my understanding that there are 2 USAR teams for NYS.

New York Task Force 1 (NYTF-1) is composed of members from the New York City emergency services personnel.

Task Force 2 (NYTF-2) is comprised of the remainder of the state, volunteers and career staff who have the training, and volunteer for the response as the USAR team.

I actually met some members of NYTF-2 while observing the NYS Rescue Challenge up in Utica this past fall. Present were collapse teams from Utica, Syracuse, Rochester, Yonkers, US Marine Corps, and, the New York State Task Force 2.

At the moment, NYTF-1 is the only NY team that is part of the FEMA USAR organisation. However, NY-TF2 is available through the state compact agreement, but wont be funded by FEMA.

I should have been more specific. There are currently 28 Fema USAR teams (2 from Florida) that can be deployed to any federal disaster. Most states have their own network of USAR teams for local emergencies. Florida being home to one of the first USAR teams and 8 state teams, is more than capable of handling these tonados.

Edited by partyrock

At the moment, NYTF-1 is the only NY team that is part of the FEMA USAR organisation. However, NY-TF2 is available through the state compact agreement, but wont be funded by FEMA.

Thanks for the clarification!!