Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PVFD233

Dover (Dutchess) - Rollover AA & Haz-Mat 1-16-07

1 post in this topic

Date: 1-16-07

Time:05:20ish?

Location: 197 Old Pawling rd between Nanny Hill rd and Gobblers Knob rd

Frequency: 453.900(Dispatch),453.925(Response),453.800(Command)

Units Operating: Dover,Pawling w/ all available Haz-Mat pads,County Car 16 and 3, Dutchess County Haz-Mat team

Description Of Incident: Roll Over

Writer: SPFC56-233

I missed initial dispatch for the AA and communcations, and dispatch for the Haz-Mat incident. This is what I got.

Dover operating @ Rollover Oil Truck Accident with Hazmat. 1 Cell ruptured with 4,200 Gallons leaking endangering "Swamp" river.

05:37 - Dutchess County Haz-Mat team dispatched to scene for Haz-Mat

05:43 - County Car 3 in route

From The Poughkeepsie Journal Web Site

Truck crash gushes 'river of oil' into neighbors' yards

By Nik Bonopartis

Poughkeepsie Journal

WINGDALE - A road has been closed after a 10-wheel oil truck overturned and spilled some of its contents on the road early this morning, according to police and neighbors.

The truck was on Old Pawling Road near Nanny Hill Road at 5:19 a.m. when the driver lost control and the truck turned over, according to the Dutchess County Sheriff's Office.

Sheriff's deputies and state troopers remain on the scene and the road is closed to traffic as they work to clear the accident and wait to consult with environmental authorities. It was not immediately clear how much oil was spilled from the truck, but one neighbor said it appeared to be a significant spill.

The oil "is pouring onto my lawn,'' said Barbara Bronson, who lives at the intersection of Old Pawling and Nanny Hill roads. "It's still pouring out.''

Bronson said the overturned truck came to rest less than 10 feet from her house. She said she's worried about contamination to her water well and is waiting to hear from authorities about the environmental and health consequences of the spill.

Neighbor Bob Temarzo's home has also been affected.

"I had a river of oil running in front of my house 10 feet from my well for three hours,'' he said. "There's an environmentally sensitive wet spot at the bottom of the hill that's red. The color of the fuel oil was bright red."

"This is not your standard oil spill, this is a bad one," he said. "It ran for three hours until the truck ran out.''

Bronson and Temarzo said police told them 4,200 gallons had spilled from the truck's oil tank, and the gas tank -- which ruptured -- was removed.

A county hazardous materials team is on-site and police are waiting for the state's Spill Response Team, which was en route as of 7:30 a.m., Sgt. John Watterson said.

Watterson said the truck was carrying home heating oil and police are trying to determine how much oil the truck was carrying when it turned over.

Drivers looking to avoid the closed-off area can access the neighborhood via Route 55 to Wheeler Road.

Check back for more information as it becomes available.

05:46 - Pawling dispatched under mutal aid for all available Haz-Mat pads

05:59 - 2nd dispatch for Dutchess County Haz-Mat team, county advises all members responding to go straight to the scene

06:09 - County car 3 on scene

Edited by SPFC56-233