Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

jjpinto's FDNY New Deliveries January '07

11 posts in this topic

jjpinto submitted his shots from his FDNY shoot yesterday.

http://www.emtbravo.com

Amongst these shots is a great shot of the new FDNY Rescue 1, a 2006 Pierce Arrow XT.

Special thanks to Joe for hooking us up!

Is the truck in service or is it still @ the shops? If it is in service, any word on how the Rescue 1 guys like it?

Does jjpinto have any of his classic shots of R1? It would be interesting to see the progression.

Does anyone know how the FDNY R1 guys like their new rig? Did Pierce do a good job with this one? I know they've never filled an FDNY order.

I did some research, and i'm not even sure if the rig is in service yet. Last i had heard was it was still @ the shops and was to hit the road in about a week. If i understand correctly, if this new rig works out for Rescue 1, then pierce will get the contracts to fill out the rest of FDNY rescue fleet. Once E-One acquired Salisbury the rescues started to fall apart (i was told that when Salisbury was a sole entity it built great, solid rigs), thus the need to replace. I hope this new truck can hold up to workout its gonna get!

Edited by 66Alpha1

The rig is still at the shops in queens and modifications and acceptance tests are still being done. Rig should be in service in a few weeks if all goes well.

I read elsewhere that there are (or were) height issues with the rig not fitting into the firehouse. Not sure if this was fact or rumor. Can anyone confirm?

I read elsewhere that there are (or were) height issues with the rig not fitting into the firehouse.  Not sure if this was fact or rumor.  Can anyone confirm?

I really doubt that height would be an issue because FDNY is very specific on their rigs and if that was a problem and a company does not follow the specification, it would not have left the manufacturer.

Does anyone know how the FDNY R1 guys like their new right. Did pierce do a good job with this one, i know they've never filled an FDNY order.

I did a lot of work with the spec for this rig when I was on light duty in the Apparatus Design Office. the height, length, and width of ALL FDNY rigs are clearly specified in each and every spec that goes out. This is doen to make sure that the rig fits into a firehouse. The Spirit of Oklahoma that was donated by American LaFrance doesn't fit into the quarters of R-2 so when they have to use that rig it stays outside. The original goal of this rig was to be a dedicated spare replacing a 1988 or 1985 Mack Saulsbury that is still in service as a spare. Then it was decided that it would go to R-1 with their present rig becoming a dedicated spare that would fit into all the firehouses. This would allow for the FDNY to see how the independent front suspension held up compared to the present shock/leaf spring style presently in use. There are some changes to this Pierce that are different form the E-one Saulsbury's...there is not a light tower on this rig. Instead you see a Fire research 12 volt brow light centered mounted on the fornt of the cab. the transverse compartment in the cab of the E-one chassis's is now in the body on the Pierce. This rig also has an on-board hydraulic air compressor. there is no a-frame on the Pierce as well. There are also rollers across the roof of the body to facilitate the removal of the boat from the roof of the rig for dive op's. The bodies fo the E-One Saulsbury's are NOT holding up very well. they are racking, and there are even cases of companies having to force their way out of the body if they close the doors. Pierce is not a shoo in to get the bid to replace the rest fo the rescue rigs if this one works out. Ferrara has built a stainless steel Haz-Mat rig for HM-1 and it seems to be holding up well for them. The thing to see is if the independent front suspension is included in the next bid, and if the light tower gets added back on. Look for this to hit the streets of Manhattan in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the awesome info FDNY99!

Just to get off the rescue 1 issue for a minute (best looking rescue in a long time) but still on the subject of Joe's new photos, any word on were the 3 new decons and rebreather 2 are going?