Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Stamford MCI Drill 9/23?

9 posts in this topic

well, i am surprised that nobody posted anything (pictures) from the Multi-agency drill at the stamford transportation center yesterday morning. I know they had quite a few "devices" that were placed i various areas, all the streets were blocked off in the area. I know news12 was there, but i wanted some "credible" information, maybe pics?

I was one of the officers who worked on setting up the readiness exercise. The scenario was a bombing incident that took out I-95. The location was the MTA PD parking area and the shuttle bus area under I-95 at the corner of Washington Blvd. and North State Street between UBS and the train station. The scene was set up with 10 live victims (moulaged up nicely by SEMS personnel) and several manikins that were placed in crushed vehicles and within concrete voids created by the collapsed road way. Numerous truckloads of concrete debris were spread over the site and the voids were created by using precast manholes and septic tanks. Six vehicles and tons of concrete and steel were utlized to create the "disaster" scene.

Of course a secondary device was was found during the initial search and the SPD Bomb Squad went into action. The secondary device drill was moved to a different location so the rescue operation could resume in a reasonable amount of time.

SFRD initial assignment was DC-1, E-2, T-2, E-5, R-1, R-2 and E-1. The immediate second alarm brought in E-9, E-10, and T-4 that were staffed with callback personnel waiting to start a training class at the training center. No one, except the police, fire rescue, and EMS officers setting up the exercise, knew about the readiness exercise. The initial response included numerous SPD units and an MCI response from SEMS and Access Ambulance Service.

Upon the transmission of the second alarm the IC special called HazMat 2, the trench rescue trailer from station #3 and the technical rescue trailer from station #5.

The inital operation included the HazMat task force Monitoring for NBC agents and fire rescue personnel evacuating the walking wounded and the surface victims to the EMS triage area. After the all clear was sounded SFRD companies switched to search and rescue and began extricating victims from vehicles crushed by falled concrete and heavy steel beams. There were at least three operations being conducted simulatneously on "the pile". The city's Department of Operations (Public Works) was called into the scene and two large payloaders were used during extrication operations (Great help!!!).

After the first operational period was complete the companies were relieved, new companies briefed and commenced with the final vehicle extrication and the start of void search and the breaking and breaching of concrete members to attempt to reach the final trapped victims. The technical rescue task force utilized the Delsar life detector, snake eye search cam, the Stanley hydraulic tools and other equipment for this operation.

At approximately 1300 the exercise was ended and the final two hours was a training session involving breaching and breaking concrete and steel, advanced search operations, and an introductory session for members not affiliated with the rescue unit.

At 1600 hours operations started the clean up and by 2300 hours all that was left was some dust on the roadway.

The following agencies were involved in the readiness exercise: SFRD, SPD, SEMS, Dept. of Operations, MTA Police and Fire, FBI, CT. State Police, American Red Cross, Salvation Army, and Access Ambulance. The Turn of River Fire Dept. provided Rescue #66 to cover the downtown district while all SFRD rescue units were operating at the exercise. Support was also received from Testa Construction, East Coast Towing, City Carting, UBS, and MTA.

All agencies interacted very well together and all the feedback from the participants was positive. Overall it was excellent experience!

As soon as I get some shots from the department I'll post them.

Be safe!!!

SFRD49

wow that sounds like an outstanding drill! would love to see the pics. thanks for the info, glad to see so many agencies work together.

The pictures of the drill have been posted follow this link:

http://www.stamfordfire.com/Photos/index.cfm

This was an impressive drill and a good job was done by all involved. It was nice to get to use a lot of the new specialty USAR equipment in a realistic setting. Hopefully we'll see more drills along these lines in the future.

Edited by Jason762

Those are some awesome pics from the drill. There are also some good pics from other incidents on that site

x152 would have been there, but he was too busy driving Cheshire's Pierce Quantum rescue.

Edited by Jason762

Is that my Prius/Element buried under there.......

Stay safe........ biggrin.gif

They wanted to use it, but it was already being used as a wheel chock for a Chevy Avalanche for some reason...

But, seriously, this drill was apparently very realistic... we were getting calls all day from concerned/frightened citizens who thought it was the real deal. And while the drill was unannounced, there were no delays of emergency calls in Stamford due to units being involved in the drill.

Edited by 242steve