Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sr71

FDNY Rear Mounts And Master Streams?

9 posts in this topic

Do the FDNY rearmount sticks ever flow master streams from the tip?

I've only seen the tower ladders flow water.

thanks

srz1

they do not have pre-piped waterways. However, ladder pipes can be set up and a master stream can be put to work. I have only seen it done a couple of times.

they do not have pre-piped waterways. However, ladder pipes can be set up and a master stream can be put to work. I have only seen it done a couple of times.

thanks jbe

All Aerial Ladders have setup's for master streams. If you look at the top of the compartments just behind the cab, officer side, you will see the tips mounted. They also have the hose preconnected and ready to go if needed. However due to tower ladders they are rarely used.

If I can remember correctly Ladder 30 placed a ladder pipe in service at the St. John the Devine Fire. Most FDNY Tower Ladders are 75' and then some are 95' with all Aerials 100', the use of the ladder pipe was able to reach the fire, which the Tower Ladders could not.

Most fires ive seen on fdny videos when they need to flow master streams there is always an aerial where they need the tower ladders and they alwasy end up backing the aerials out and placing the tower in that ones place.

I can confirm the 30 Truck St John the Divine ladder pipe operation.(I was dispatching M that day) Just recently some ladder pipes got put to work at that junkyard on Westchester Avenue a few weeks back.

Long, long ago and far, far away, in the streets of Brooklyn, we had a "special" evolution called "The blitz".

This tactic was developed in the War Years due to the unavailability of Engines in the First Alarm assignment or the delayed response of those Engines ... we were BUSY!!

The ladderpipe was pre-connected and carried in position (we had many more tillers then, so the pipe stuck up in front of the tillerman) and had only one control lanyard attached at the tip. The Ladder would approach the fire and hope that a hydrant was in close proximity (usually, only 200' of hose was allowed for the stretch, plus the length of the stick). Hydrant pressure was used for the flow (LOL,LOL,LOL) and a sufficient knockdown could be accomplished in this fashion.

Of course, Capt Geohagen would always assign me to "intimidate" the fire (the Old Truckie could yell at many fires and cause their extiguishment) after all, that's what the OVM does best!

There were many occasions where, accompanied by NG forces, this tactic was used to try and save a block ... sometimes we lost.

One-One-Oh to Brooklyn K ... alone again, naturally biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Ahhh does my heart proud to see the old truckie again.

I think it was last month, L48 & L27 of the FDNY used thier ladder pipes at a junk yard fire on Bronx river ave along the Sheridan expressway.