Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x242Steve

I-95, Bronx, NY - Unusual Incident 7-21-06

7 posts in this topic

A DISARMED TOMAHAWK MISSILE DISLODGED FROM A FLATBED TRACTOR-TRAILER TRUCK AFTER A REAR-END COLLISION AT 5:50 A.M. TODAY ON INTERSTATE 95

(Original publication: July 21, 2006)

A flatbed truck carrying the crated, non-functional military ordnance collided with a tractor-trailer on Interstate 95 southbound in the Bronx, spilling the ordinance onto the highway. The highway is closed southbound.

The accident took place at the exit to the Hutchinson River Parkway.

--------

:blink:

Armed or not, isnt this thing still a rocket, has to be dangerous?

Armed or not, isnt this thing still a rocket, has to be dangerous?

Not necessarily. This type of ordinance isn't transported in a ready to launch mode. The fuel cell or propulsion system were most likely disabled or removed.

A 9000 gallon fuel tanker in the same accident represents a much more dangerous risk.

post-839-1153503043.jpg

post-839-1153503054.jpg

credit: WABC TV NY

I was just kidding when I said "Someone ought to to drop a bomb on this g*ddam highway", while stuck in traffic. :D

The tomahawk does necessarily have a rocket attached to it. The rocket boosts it out of the ship or sub. After that a turbofan (jet) engine takes over as it cruises to its destination. Fueling and attaching the boost rocket is taken care of just before loading. The biggest hazard is to national security. It probably has all the guidance stuff on it still. Just keep in mind the federal government does not need to placard every cargo it sends AND the driver doesnt need to tell you what he is carrying. I95 being the vital artery it is carries a lot of unmarked hazardous cargo. I87, I287, Rte 6, and Rte 9 are also probably carrying some fun stuff. So if you respond to a call involving a tractor trailer in your town keep that in mind.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/smart/bgm-109.htm

You really don't know much about Tomahawks do you?