Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
grumpyff

USS Intrepid Air, Sea, Space Museum

8 posts in this topic

In case anyone missed the press releases, The Intrepid will Close on Oct 1, 2006 for much needed repairs, and renovations expected to last for 2 years.

Here is the link to the Intrepid : http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/intrepidmuse.../item.php?id=43

Firefighter Appreciation Weekend is next week July 15 and 16, featuring demonstrations by the FDNY.

Police Appreciation Weekend is August 19 and 20, featuring displays by various units of the NYPD.

The last time I went to the Intrepid was about 4 years ago, and it was a great experience. I enjoyed the fact that there were former crewmembers that served aboard her working as guides. I had the opportunity to speak with one gentleman who served aboard from 1943 to 1945. If you get the chance to go, talk to the guides to get an idea of what they went thru to defend this country, and say 'Thank You' for all they have done. I read an article in the NY Post ( that or the Daily News, not sure which) that mentioned that after the two year renovation is complete, that some of the guides will no longer be around, as some are in their 80's.

Edited by grumpyff

I read that they are going to do the much needed refurbishment in the Daily News the other day. It should be quite a sight to see the Interpid "sailing" down the Hudson when it is towed to Bayonne. I always wondered when that would get done, after all it's got to be pretty rough sitting in the Hudson all those years.

As for the guides, they are definetly something to be valued, appreciated, and learned from.

Great pic you can see the FDNY units in the photo 2 engine 2 trucks the haz-mat unit and the chief very cool.

Chris

i work in NY harbor for Circle Line Statue of Liberty ferry. And, the word around the harbor is that it is going to Cadells ship yard in staten island. Take that with a grain of salt(pardon the expresion) Also some scuttlebutt(rumors) that they fear she might be out longer then predicted. They actually have to dredge the water she sits in to move, cause she sits in mud.

i work in NY harbor for Circle Line Statue of Liberty ferry. And, the word around the harbor is that it is going to Cadells ship yard in staten island. Take that with a grain of salt(pardon the expresion) Also some scuttlebutt(rumors) that they fear she might be out longer then predicted. They actually have to dredge the water she sits in to move, cause she sits in mud.

I hope there is no damage to her keel.

That sounds possible. One news release stated the Intrepid would go to Bayoone for 6 months+ of drydock to fix her hull, and from there go to Staten Island for internal renovation/exhibit maintenance. I think they were working on the approvals for the dredging since she has been there since what, 1982? I think the 18 month timeline is optimistic, and will be longer.

I think it is worth going away for 2 years think of how cooler the Intrepid will be when she returns. The sad thing is that I know alot of former crewmembers, by being a volunteer there and some I may not see again because as stated before they getting up there in age. My goal is to get there as much as possible before she leaves.