Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
csf248

FDNY Chauffeurs?

7 posts in this topic

What About FDNY Drivers, I've always wondered, are the drivers counted as firefighters toward the on duty count, and driving is just what you do for that shift, or is it permenent, were as your job is to drive and drive alone? just curious, cause driving in the city, is hard, and i could not imagine in a firetruck

I know that Drivers in the city are assigned by shift. They are full firefighters however i believe it is up to the officer to determine who is where on the rig for the tour....

Edited by cas2383

im sure they go throught like....probi driver school at the rock or somthing right? to be honest, i've always wondered the same thing.

FFs are told to report for driver training...dept likes to have about 10 quailfied chauffeurs per company.

do they just drive all the time or do they rotate?

chauffers are usually assigned by the officer or senior man (who usually is a chauffer) like the rest of the riding positions...chauffers are counted in the man power roster i.e., 5 man engine: four men on the backstep, chauffer, officer...they go to chauffer school at the Rock...

All the chauffeur's attend a class at the rock. There are classes for Engine, Ladder and Tractor Trailer operations. Engine class deals with driving and pump operations, and Ladder deals with all types of ladders, from rearmount to tillers.

Within the firehouse you have 4 Regular Company chauffeur's, who will be in the same groups as the officers for the most part. The Regular chauffeur's will also do mutal's with another chauffer for the most part, some houses do have ways that like to do things.

After the 4 regular chauffeur's you then have other FF's who are trained to fill in when needed. The also use the extra chauffeurs to detail to houses when they don't have a chauffer for the tour.

The officer can always override any house rule.