Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SRS131EMTFF

Used Apparatus

13 posts in this topic

Here are just a few questions I have regarding used and de-commisioned apparatus:

1. How does one de-commision a rig?

2. What is done with that rig?

3. How does one get a hold of used firetrucks?

4. How much would one cost?

5. How often is rig de-commisioned?

6. Can a rig be re-commisioned?

7. Is there a masive field somewhere in Westchester or New York with just a huge collection of Apparatus from like the 60's or 70's or just un-needed or un-wanted rigs that one could see or visit?

Thanks

Here are just a few questions I have regarding used and de-commisioned apparatus:

1.  How does one de-commision a rig?

2. What is done with that rig?

3. How does one get a hold of used firetrucks?

4. How much would one cost?

5.  How often is  rig de-commisioned?

6. Can a rig be re-commisioned?

7. Is there a masive field somewhere in Westchester or New York with just a huge collection of Apparatus from like the 60's or 70's or just un-needed or un-wanted rigs that one could see or visit?

Thanks

Not sure about de-commisioning a piece of apparatus, I think it depends on the needs of the dept., and condition of that apparatus.Looking for a used fire truck, try Ebay (search for firetruck, fire truck, fire engine, pumper (I did it today, there are almost 25 pieces, of varying age and condition). Also try sites such asFiretec.com , or just do a search for used fire apparatus, used fire trucks, etc. Price depends on condition, age, type of apparatus. I have seen apparatus from the 1950s/1960's for as little as a few thousand dollars. As for getting a used fire truck, it is just like buying a used car, have your mechanic go over it before you make an offer. Look at body/engine/pump/tank/aeriel device/etc. Again it is all on the needs of the dept. and their budget.

When Pleasantville Ladder 39 (1949 ALF 65'stick) blew its motor (original Junior V-12, gas powered) in 1992, there was discussion of repowering with a diesel engine. It would have only cost about $9000 from what I remember, but do you really want to put that much money into a 2nd due ladder of that age? It was easier to justify selling it off to a collector, and start looking to replace the 1st due tower ladder 5. a 1974 Mack/Baker 75' ft boom. Just under 3 years later, Pleasantville got its current TL-5. As for a large field of used fire turcks, that would be a collectors dream, but thats it, just a dream.

Edited by grumpyff

I recall X635 finding a firetruck graveyard in Nassau County FIRETRUCK GRAVEYARD Maybe he can give some more info on this topic. Most departments take off their symbols and insignias when they sell apparatus, also all of the ones that I saw on Ebay didn't come with tool or hose.

Just looking at Firetec's website, go to just sold link on the right side. It lists where the apparatus came from, and where it went. Look here for Katonah's old tanker: Firetec.com , Katonah's old tanker Also found one of Putnam Valley's old pieces, looks like an engine, see it here atFiretec.com, Putnam Valley Scroll down, it is at the bottom right of the page

Edited by grumpyff

when i used to take cars to the junkyard in elmsford i would see an occational firetruck from either yonkers or mt. vernon their. these trucks were ran practicly into the ground. realestate is to expensive in westchester to just have stuff sit on it doing nothing. if you want to see a collection go to the firemans home in hudson n.y. they have alot of westchester rigs their.

decommisioned rigs are usually rusted out or the problems are more expensive than the value of the truck. you can get old trucks for a few thousand dollars. you can put endless amounts of money to restore them. just look at the old truck your department is redoing. some parts are obsolite so you have to look hard to find or have stuff specialy made. to recommision a rig it needs to be in proper working order but the old stuff just isn't safe to run anymore with all the nfpa and osha standards.

for used trucks you can go on the dealer sites like tylerfire.com or bolesfireequipment.com no relation btw or even ebay under fire apparatus. good luck with your search.

Edited by mrbolz

Maybe someone can verify this information I was given.

Last week, I called NY-DMV and spoke to both the operator and a Supervisor. I wanted to find out the procedure and necessary forms to go about registering a decommisioned fire apparatus as "collector", "historic" or even commercial in NYS. I specified that this would not be for FD use, just for private ownership.

The supervisor was shocked that I wanted to register such a rig and told me UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES is anyone allowed to get plates for a fire apparatus in NYS unless it is for active service with a FD. Also told me " sir, we cannot have private citizens driving fire trucks around town ! ".

What's the deal??? Was she right? :unsure:

Edited by hoss

Sounds like typical DMV nonsense. I have sen plenty of rigs with historic plates in private collections. I have even seen old(think 1960) NYPD rmps in private collections. The DMV (some offices, not all) are staffed by complete morons. I think this is why Putnam County DMV offices charge a surcharge for non county residents, beacase too many people got fed up with the nonsense in the White Plains Office. I think the counties can set up and run the DMV offices for the state. My advice is to try another office, The office in Carmel has alawys been a pleasure to deal with. The staff there is friendly and helpful.

who knows after sept. 11 if things have changed. you know if those trucks get into the wrong hands they could make serious problems. they should be able to verify collectors and firefighters just like the vf lisense plates that are around.

I have seen rigs that are not in service at the junkyard in elmsford. About buying used rigs well I thought alot of upstate towns bought old rigs either because they cant afford new ones or they just have no need for a brand new one.

I have seen rigs that are not in service at the junkyard in elmsford. About buying used rigs well I thought alot of upstate towns bought old rigs either because they cant afford new ones or they just have no need for a brand new one.

Are you refering to the Brookfield Auto Wreckers Yard in Elmsford?

I have two firetrucks that have plates and ins. on them. 1957 mack B and 1958 ward lafrance and one 1948 ward lafrance that as ins only, because it is not on the road. I have over 20 trucks in my colection. if you need any help with plates just call :)

When you call DMV, the calls are answered by prisoners, a little known fact. :)

When you call DMV, the calls are answered by prisoners, a little known fact. <_<

Our District has plates and titles for all of our Apparatus, in 2000 we sold our 1981 Pierce Engine to a company in Ohio through Firetec. It was a pain to get a title in order to sell the truck, not impossible. So with that the District went ahead to get all the trucks title'd and regeristerd such that later sale(s) would be much easier. The plates are normal official ones and are kept in a file cabinet not on the trucks.

As always with the DMV, it depends who you talk to as some are truly clueless. I have heard of trucks coming back as Sanders, Dump trucks, etc.. A commercial chasis can be converted to anything.