Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Brush Fires And Turnout Gear

5 posts in this topic

With the North East in prime brush fire season (monday in the 50s, no humidity, wind) In todays news paper Firefighters humping 1 3/4 line in the woods in full structure fire fighting ppe. If your dept does not have brush fire gear ! Would it not be better to have a good set of boots jeans helmet and gloves. I remember the first forest fire i fought full turn out. No water. i was beat to hell within a half hour. We now have about 6 sets of gear and some forestry hose, and guys run for them. I think wearing structure gear is unsafe in the woods. No ankle support, over heating, exhaustion to name a few.

Companies sell brush fire gear for aprox $125.00 that includes pants, top, socks, etc.

Many departments will allow FF's to operate at a "grass" fire with bunkers, helmet, gloves.... OR if they are a department that has issued uniforms, and the BDU's are made from a fire retardant material, then that is acceptable too.

A true brush fire or woods fire, is a very different animal than a grass fire and I would caution against ever operating at one without a dedicated fire retardant suit that includes socks, gloves, helmet, etc.

In Westchester County where brush fires aren't so common (like they are out west) that departments are going to be issuing dedicated brush fire gear, then the answer is full turnout's. THIS BEING SAID, on a hot summer day humping hose, rakes and shovels into the woods, under the power lines, along railroad beds, or where ever else these fires are found, extra manpower is the key. Possibley more so than at a structure fire. Exhaustion will set it quickly while aggressively working a brush fire in full bunker gear and there must be an ample supply of FF's to rotate out in timed intervals, as well as a dedicated rehab station who's focus is rehydration and preventing heat related illnesses.

To compare.... A 1 acre grass fire (often reported or confused as a brush fire) may only require two engines and a mini pumper or brush rig to control (maybe a total of 10-15 men including officers).... A woods fire of the same acreage (depending on wind, previous rain fall, amount of thatch and leaves, etc.) may require the same equipment (give or take) but would very likely requre double or triple the mount of manpower and all the resources needed to keep them cool, hydrated, and not worked to the limit of exhaustion.

Edited by mfc2257

We have a little more then grass fires, often the top layer of leaves, lite brush, fallen trees ect, Granted seldom ever the crowning tree fires. in my above post I left out bunker coat. I just know wearing bunker boots and pants in uneven terrain is dangerous. When many of these fires occur during daytime hours, and man power is always an issue, getting the most out of crews is important. I guess what my post is about the season is here get ready and drink alot of fluids. MFC i totally agree with you brush gear is cheap enough. maybe its not at the top of the priority lists for depts. I forgot to mention my first forest fire I was in full ppe and most others were running around in sandles, shorts, tee shirts true story sad but true.

We have very few brush fires but when we do we just wear our bunkerpants if we come on our brush truck or engines other than that we just were boots jeans and a t shirt.

Jeans, Boots and a t-shirt are fine for small grass and leaf fires. However when taller brush ( trees and shrubs) get involved then turnout gear should be used