Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x242Steve

Rye's Next Ladder (Factory Photos, too)

23 posts in this topic

A few factory photos are up on www.ryefire.com

They were taken by Excelsior personnel on May 15.

For those who forgot/don't know: New Ladder truck for the City of Rye Fire Dept. 100-foot Seagrave Rearmount, no pump, no water. Expected delivery by end of summer '07. New Truck will become L25 when it goes in service, and the current L25 will become L26.

(Note the low-profile cab, we needed an OAH of 10'-0" to get under the Metro North bridges in our response area.)

Edited by 242steve

Quick question - why does Rye need two ladders? Are there a lot of tall buildings? What criteria led the departmetn to put 2 ladders into service?

Quick question - why does Rye need two ladders? Are there a lot of tall buildings? What criteria led the departmetn to put 2 ladders into service?

Brief History: From 1975 until recently Rye had 2 ladder trucks. I say "recently" because Ladder 26 (1955 Maxim Aerial) was "officially" retired in 2006 but the Aerial device was deemed unsafe some time before the truck was sold.

To answer your question: I have copy-and-pasted some of the exact reasons why members of the Poningoe Hook and Ladder Company felt that a second ladder was needed. These reasons were included in various communications and presentations that were given to the Board of Fire Wardens and the Mayor and City Council as the truck committee first began to seek funding/approval for a new truck.

• The front-line Ladder (“Ladder 25”, 2001 Seagrave) needs to go out-of-service for repairs and maintenance from time to time. As that truck gets older, it will need to be out for longer periods of time for more extensive work. A second Truck ensures that the City is covered 24/7/365.

• We cover a busy Commercial District, a large retirement community, several houses of worship, schools, apartment buildings and other multiple-occupancy structures. Any alarm of fire at a commercial establishment or multiple-occupancy dwelling should beckon, as part of the response, Two Ladder Trucks.

• We have strong ties with the Harrison Fire Department. They operate several Fire Engines (Pumpers) and have been able to provide us with Mutual Aid for water supply and manpower at many serious incidents. The Mutual Aid system was built on the idea of being able to Give and Get. In the past, Rye was able to send help to Harrison in the form of our second Ladder Truck. In recent years, the limited abilities of the ailing “Ladder 26” have prevented us from giving Harrison the aid that we have continued to receive from their Engines. This imbalance in the Mutual Aid system is not healthy for the City of Rye or its neighboring communities.

• On-going hands-on training is of extreme importance to all Firefighters. Using a rig for training generally means that it will not be immediately ready to respond to an incident at that time. With a second up-to-date Truck, members of the Rye Fire Department would be able to drill on Ladder Operations without delaying the front-line Ladder’s response to alarms.

Again, there was MUCH more to it! Those are just some of the most prudent reasons. Many thanks are due to all Rye firefighters, citizens and politicians who helped to get us the new Truck.

Edited by 242steve

I'm curious... Why did Rye abandon tillers? Was it staffing or maintenance issues? You mentioned the commercial district... are the street tight?

Thanks.

-Joe DA BUFF

I'm curious... Why did Rye abandon tillers? Was it staffing or maintenance issues? You mentioned the commercial district... are the street tight?

Thanks.

-Joe DA BUFF

Joe, to answer your questions...

1) Overall Height (Can't get a Tractor-Drawn Aerial to be 10'-0") [Gossamer fanatics excluded tongue.gif ]

2) Availability/training of tillermen (I guess that would be "Staffing")

3) Cost

Also, with the relatively short wheelbase, reasonably narrow outrigger spread and tiny front bumper of the current Ladder 25, there has never really been an issue with cornering, aerial setup or approach angle. But, I think I speak for all others who ever tillered when I say I will miss it!

Edited by 242steve

Joe;

To further what Steve has said, the height problem is due to the tiller seat on a new truck now has to be enclosed and that adds height. Our previous L-26 was an open cab tiller seat. I will miss the tiller position as well.

Joe;

To further what Steve has said, the height problem is due to the tiller seat on  a new truck now has to be enclosed and that adds height. Our previous L-26 was an open cab tiller seat. I will miss the tiller position as well.

I believe the height to the top of the tillerman's windscreen on the old Maxim was 9'-5"...and I had to duck going under some bridges!

Edited by 242steve

The new ladder looks Great. Good luck with it. We were out at the Seagrave Factory in late March checking out our new tanker and saw your cab while being built. When we were looking for a new ladder for New Canaan, we came down and looked at L-25. Nice rig, it was very maneuverable. We have one Metro North bridge, and an old firehouse so height was an issue too. We went with the same cab.

Edited by car11

Thank you kindly Steve and Rich for the info! I figured that tiller training had something to do with it. That would also make sense that you couldn't very well have a "low-profile tiller". Thank you for the clarification about the wheelbase and cornering ability; I know that All-Wheel-Steer has helped some departments (notably Boston) with that issue. I'm glad Seagrave is working out in that realm for you guys. I snapped the Maxim Ladder 26 at the Mamaroneck Parade last summer. Not the best shots, but I got a good one of the banner! Thanks again!

-Joe DA BUFF

I got a chance to take look at the cab and chassis when i went to Seagrave last month. Due to company policy i wasnt able to take any pictures of it, only Rye has the ability to. I had a blast there... seeing the rigs built from beginning to end was very interesting. Can't wait to see it at "THE GAME" this year for its first loss... biggrin.gif

Edited by JBJ1202

Just a question, since you operate a ladder, why didn't you decide to get a tower platform to replace the old tiller? Just no need for one?

Just a question, since you operate a ladder, why didn't you decide to get a tower platform to replace the old tiller?  Just no need for one?

1) We were not thrilled with any of the manufacturers' Towers that would meet our height requirements.

2) Harrison, Port Chester, Larchmont, Purchase and West Harrison (Just to name a few) all have Tower Ladders. If we ever "need" one for whatever reason, there are plenty around.

Edited by 242steve

1) We were not thrilled with any of the manufacturers' Towers that would meet our height requirements.

2) Harrison, Port Chester, Larchmont, Purchase and West Harrison (Just to name a few) all have Tower Ladders.  If we ever "need" one for whatever reason, there are plenty around.

Well said, the straight-sticks are slowly vanishing from existence 'round these parts.

I agree JBJ too - the Seagrave plant was real impressive, I hope to go there again one day and take a look at the new building.

PS - how is the new rig of yours coming along?

2) Harrison, Port Chester, Larchmont, Purchase and West Harrison (Just to name a few) all have Tower Ladders.  If we ever "need" one for whatever reason, there are plenty around.

Thanks Steve and good luck with the new stick!

Update! Rye FD personnel have just returned from Seagrave in Wisconsin and the new Ladder 25 should be at Excelsior next week...

CLICK HERE FOR STORY AND PICS

Note: The aerial tip is being re-painted a brighter orange and the lense on the flashing light on the tip will be changed to blue... other than that not too many major changes have to be made before delivery! Stay tuned for pictures of the new rig fully striped and lettered some time next month.

Update! Rye FD personnel have just returned from Seagrave in Wisconsin and the new Ladder 25 should be at Excelsior next week...

CLICK HERE FOR STORY AND PICS

Note: The aerial tip is being re-painted a brighter orange and the lense on the flashing light on the tip will be changed to blue... other than that not too many major changes have to be made before delivery! Stay tuned for pictures of the new rig fully striped and lettered some time next month.

Why Blue lights?? I thought only policecars could have blue lights.

Wow the new rig looks great. Good luck with it.

Why Blue lights?? I thought only policecars could have blue lights.

The light on the tip is not for responding to an alarm, it is only activated when you engage the aerial device and used to point out where the tip of the ladder is when it is extended. Flashing lights at the tip help the operator see see where it is and the light is usually yellow or blue. Blue is better since its technically a "dimmer" shade to the eye and won't blind the fighters when looking up at the tip like brighter colors do.

Nice rig

question why does Rye run with two ladders that are identical? Why not have a Tower or a Quint along with straight stick that they already have?

Both ladders are nice rigs. The only gripe I have about them is that they sound more like police cars without federals on them. I just personally think that the public recognizes that distinct sound as that of a piece of fire apparatus.

nice looking rig.

Heard it was delivered to Excelsior in Mamaroneck today.