Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

x635's Blasts From The Past

68 posts in this topic

So I dug out my film print photo collection today. I never really took photographing things seriously until I got my D-Reb and Canon Digital Elph. Before that, I was a horrible, horrible photographer plus I was too shy to get the shots I wanted.

I want to share these shots with you, so I'll be posting them on this thread as I scan them in (over a period of several months). Most of these photos were taken somewhere between 1996 and 2000.

I'll start off with this one. For like 2 days, Greenburgh PD went to new paint and lettering scheme that looked really good, then they decided to cheap out and go with a very boring striping scheme. Greenburgh used to be on the cutting edge with strobes, having the best Whelen Edge bars on any Police car in the county, before Yonkers took over with their Super Edge.

I remember seeing this on a couple of their new Caprices, and the scheme was gone fast.

Again, all these photos come from my PRINT collection and were scanned into the computer. All these were taken somewhere between 1996 and 2000.

[attachmentid=2541]

post-11-1177968023.jpg

Here's the way Empress's yard looked in December of 1997, when I was first hired as an EMT there.

Anyone remember 39?

[attachmentid=2542]

post-11-1177968238.jpg

is that explorer in the middle a sport model, the 2 door version. a fly car im guessing

Two of OLM's buses when they had a cool scheme:

[attachmentid=2543]

post-11-1177968537.jpg

Eastchester Rescue 5, a Brockway! And I believe Saulsbury body. This sat at the Bronxville station of Eastchester FD next to Engine 29 for many years before being given to the county. It still ran and drove, however it had severe body cancer. I remember the sticker on the officer side dash that said "Sit Down, Shut Up, And Hold On". It was then sent to the DPW Purchasing garage on the Grasslands Reservation, where it was ultimately disposed of. It's too bad Eastchester didn't replace it with another Mack.

[attachmentid=2544]

post-11-1177969135.jpg

Here's a very strange looking ambulance (at the time, 1998ish) from Metropolitan Ambulance. Of course, now everone knows a Demers, but Metropolitan Ambulance was the first in the area to have this Canadian bus. (later know after merger with Transcare as Metrocare then back to Transcare-this bus has been striped through all three changes)

[attachmentid=2545]

post-11-1177969444.jpg

is that explorer in the middle a sport model, the 2 door version. a fly car im guessing

Yup. It was a 2 door Explorer Sport, the original body style. It was the Clinical Supervisors car. #5, I think.

These are great! Keep 'em coming!!!

39 The Rockland Pimp Mobile with purple velvet seats!!!

Fairview's old Utility 7, which was the former Rescue 3 up until 1996. I can't remember what the fate of this vehicle was....I thought it went to the Greenburgh's town's Civil Defense fleet, but I hardly ever see therefore know those vehicles.

[attachmentid=2574]

post-11-1178030521.jpg

Ardsley Police Car 96.

This was Ardsley PD's first "new style" Chevrolet Caprice, after the final redesign before Chevrolet squashed the PD popular Caprice from it's lineup.

Also, this car's graphics were different. Before, Ardsley PD had white over light mettallic blue cars. This all white with this kind of striping only lasted a couple of cars before they went to the Ford Crown Vic/Police Interceptor with Whelen Super Edges and strobed out, and with beautiful and unique custom graphics. This car's lightbar, the Federal Signal Streethawk, was also an upgrade over the boxy Federal Signal Halogen Lightbar, forget the model name. It's interesting to note Ardsley PD has upgraded again, now Dodge Chargers with Sound Off LED packages.

Also, this was taken when the Ardsley PD Station was located behind the Ardsley Firehouse, so this photo was probaly 1995/6ish

[attachmentid=2575]

post-11-1178031259.jpg

Mohegan had this oddball ambulance as Rescue 33 that didn't match the two Type I Chevrolet/Swab ambulances they had at the time.

Does anyone know the story as to why this ambulance is different?

[attachmentid=2576]

post-11-1178033208.jpg

This was the old Empress Paramedic Supervisor Truck 2. I remember it was the favored truck by the late Lt. Tom Salvatore, an Empress Paramedic Supervisor Shield 301 who died at 32 after a long battle with Lupus. We miss you Tom.

[attachmentid=2577]

post-11-1178034568.jpg

Wasn't Eastchester's Rescue 5 A BrockwayY ?????

the Federal lightbar on that Ardsley squad is the Streethawk, the boxy one you refer to is probably the TwinSonic (the same bar as on Squad 51).

Edited by wcr20

Ambulances 37, 38, & 39 all had the "Pimp seats". But 39 was the only van style commercial ambulace I've worked in that had a side window in the patient compartment.

Eastchester Rescue 5, a Brockway! And I believe Saulsbury body.

The Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 was and is the greatest police car ever made.

Edited by 23piraf

Mohegan had this oddball ambulance as Rescue 33 that didn't match the two Type I Chevrolet/Swab ambulances they had at the time.

Does anyone know the story as to why this ambulance is different?

[attachmentid=2576]

WOW R-33 now that is old! I beleive it was a good deal at the time.

That mohegan ambulance was a demo to add the third ambulance to the fleet it was a 1988 Ford/Horton I know it went down to empress from time to time for maintance because empress has the medic contract for the town of yorktown and some how there was an offer to repair our rigs

Continuing on, here's Ardsley FD's fleet IFO their Ashford Ave. headquarters circa 1990.

From left to right Engine 165-1979 Mack CF, Car 2011-1985 Chevrolet Suburban 2500, Engine 164 1972 Young, and Quint 1 1988 Hahn/LTI

[attachmentid=2618]

post-11-1178141300.jpg

Stat Flight lands in Ardsley on 1-30-92, after a cement mixer rolled off the NYS Thruway and down an embankment, landing on Elm Street in Ardsley and heavily entrapping the driver (1hr extrication?). Anyone know what the deal with the helicopter was? It's definetly not a BK117! And what was "Aeromed"?

[attachmentid=2620]

post-11-1178142230.jpg

Aeromed was the name of the company, if I remember right before Stat Flight. I think it was run by NY Pres as opposed to WCMC.

Eastchester Rescue 5, a Brockway! And I believe Saulsbury body. This sat at the Bronxville station of Eastchester FD next to Engine 29 for many years before being given to the county. It still ran and drove, however it had severe body cancer. I remember the sticker on the officer side dash that said "Sit Down, Shut Up, And Hold On". It was then sent to the DPW Purchasing garage on the Grasslands Reservation, where it was ultimately disposed of. It's too bad Eastchester didn't replace it with another Mack.

[attachmentid=2544]

Eastchester RESCUE 5 BROCKWAY 1974 361 with a 671t m644 , very powerfull 2 cy deisel motor. bought threw willow motors [the local brockway dealer] in Port Chester NY.

x635 that is definitely a BK-117. All it needs is a repaint job and it looks just liek stat flights helicopters minus a spoltight and maybe a couple of other added accesories.

[/quote_

As x635, and PCFD ENG58 have said, yes the rescue was a Brockway. The reason I thought you asked this was because x635 stated "too bad they didnt replace it with another Mack." If you are getting at what I am, Brockway Trucks was bought out by Mack in the late 1950's, and then Mack began to convert and use the Mack cabs on the Brockway chassis in the 1970's before Brockway was phased out. If you look at the cab of Rescue 5, (not the hood), you will see it is the same as the R, DM, DMM, U models, etc from Mack. By the time Rescue 5 was put out of service, Brockway was no longer around.

It sure is a BK 117. In fact its N117NY, the same one serving as Air One right now. It was originally out of NY Cornell hospital, based on the East Side of NYC on one of the helipads. Memory escapes me as to which one. They were doing next to no calls, so moved it up here to WMC in a deal with the old county hospital. It gradually evolved to STAT Flight, and now Life Net.

But, it is the original aircraft. She's a 1987 BK 117 A 3. Some of the pilots who are still flying with Air Methods picked her up off the boat from Germany 20 years ago. The lead pilot has been flying it for its entire lifespan. It came up to WMC looking like it did in the photos. The paint scheme is what makes it look like something other than a BK.

Hope that helps.

Its a great aircraft...Did a lot of fun calls in it.

Hartsdale operated this Chevrolet/Reading Body in the early 1990's as Car 2172, the Deputy Chief (Shift Commander)

After being replaced by a Chevrolet Suburban, the town of Greenburgh got the truck and "parted" it out for its DPW fleet.

[attachmentid=2639]

post-11-1178226465.jpg

Westchester Medical Center through A-1 Ambulance operated this thing that was chain driven. I remember shooting this in the lot of the former Hudson Valley Ambulance in Haverstraw

[attachmentid=2640]

post-11-1178226830.jpg