Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Porsha911gt3

Poughkeepsie Galleria Parking Garage Collapse

23 posts in this topic

Galleria parking lot section collapses

An approximately 30-foot by 50-foot section of the parking lot at the Galleria Mall has collapsed.

A pile of snow can be seen sticking up from the crater. The section of the upper deck parking lot near Ruby Tuesday fell onto the lower deck. Three cars are partially buried under the collapsed material.

Town of Poughkeepsie police say no one have been injured in the collapse.

Emergency personnel have responded to the scene.

Stores in the mall are being evacuated.

Town of Poughkeepsie police are at the scene. Police have the area taped off.

Poughkeepsie Journal

This is not really that much of a surprise, the parking garage has been sinking for years, anyone that has ever gone there has seen the big dips in the upper deck. It did seem like it was very safe just by looking at it, good thing no one was hurt

This is not really that much of a surprise, the parking garage has been sinking for years, anyone that has ever gone there has seen the big dips in the upper deck. It did seem like it was very safe just by looking at it, good thing no one was hurt

I thought that the dips were in part for drainage purposes, to funnel the water and stuff away, but regardless, those were some pretty huge dips in it.

BTW, didn't they just re-pave that structure within the past year or two?

Hopefully we will have pics coming soon. FFD941 was heading down there to try and get some pix last I talked with him.

Edited by xfirefighter484x

I thought that the dips were in part for drainage purposes, to funnel the water and stuff away, but regardless, those were some pretty huge dips in it.

BTW, didn't they just re-pave that structure within the past year or two?

Hopefully we will have pics coming soon. FFD941 was heading down there to try and get some pix last I talked with him.

Ha! used to be great to skateboard there!

Sounds like some show.........

I will be interested to see what comes next. So far in 2 days, there have been 2 structural collapse issues in Dutchess County related to snow (one was partially human error I am assuming) i.e. the piling of it on the parking deck prior to removal.

My brother just called me - he was at Lowe's picking up stuff for a job, so he is parked nearby "eating lunch"...

He says there are more emergency vehicles than he has ever seen before, including what "looks like EVERY State Police Tahoe ever bought!"

Just heard it over WCBS 880, they said that all the snow was plowed to one corner and that played a part in the collapse. Also, one wing of the mall has been evacuated - unknown reason.

My brother just called me - he was at Lowe's picking up stuff for a job, so he is parked nearby "eating lunch"...

He says there are more emergency vehicles than he has ever seen before, including what "looks like EVERY State Police Tahoe ever bought!"

And to think they took the Dunkin Donuts out of the mall several years ago, I hope the have Dunkin Donut's Mobile units laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

I had read in the Incident Alert that the town PD called for the City of Poughkeepsie Mobile Command post to the scene. Is that a vehicle, or just a way to organize a Unified Command post?

If so, why did they not call for the Dutchess County Mobile Command Vehicle, that the county received about a year or 2 ago? This would be a perfect application for it, to get all communications for Fire, PD, EMS, Engineering Crews, DPW/DOT, Mall Security, etc...

I give credit to NH Command, bein aggressive and calling for help early.

Also, one wing of the mall has been evacuated - unknown reason.

Well, you have to figure that the parking structure is attached to the exterior of the mall, and any more collapses due to a weakening of the structure may further endanger the mall itself.

DCBF has their Command Truck aka "FieldCom" there, City of Poughkeepsie also sent a Mobile Command Post truck as well.

They are calling for a second command post. Dutchess County's is already there with what looks like the DC Sheriffs Command post. I have also heard that they called for heavy equipment operators from Trap Rock which is right down the hill behind the Galleria to come up and survey the scene and possibly bring some equipment up to help. Trap Rock and New Hamburg from what I understand have already had a plan in case of something like this and they needed equipment. Also the mall is only being evacuated at the south east end to keep people away from the collapse zone.

DCBF has their Command Truck aka "FieldCom" there, City of Poughkeepsie also sent a Mobile Command Post truck as well.

Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up!! biggrin.gif

Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up!! biggrin.gif

I am trying to find some pics of the City Police Command Truck.......

Edited by Ole129K

I am trying to find some pics.......

I was thinkin of going down there to buff it, get some pics myself. Anyone else interested?

DC Incident Command Vehicle. This is used by the Sheriff's office and is also available to and fire department.

It also sounds like the area of the new ramp that was added when Target was being built is the area of the collapse.

Click on image for a larger picture.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by JetPhoto

I just returned from checking this out. The collapse that I saw (if the only collapsed area that is) was in front of Ruby Tuesday's, approximately in the middle of the structure. It did appear to be at least 100x100. Pictures are posted below.

Just to inform, access was difficult as the majority of the area was cordoned off, so the pictures are less than the greatest.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Just to think that is only prob 1/4 of emergency vehicles there

Some better angles (and pictures) than I could obtain, from other sources.

MidHudsonNews.com:

user posted image

user posted image

Poughkeepsie Journal (Karl Rabe):

user posted image

Just to think that is only prob 1/4 of emergency vehicles there

I was too busy this morning and afternoon to make it to the scene any earlier, and by the time I was halfway there, New Hamburg Command returned Arlington 32-13 and 32-52, and 53-45 from the scene, and released all standby companies. The only remaining unit on scene was 53-52, and various chiefs and other officers from neighboring departments.